1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

USB chargingGeneral

1. testeraf

testeraf Well-Known Member

The Optimus V does charge via USB, right? It's been at 1% for about 2 hours.

Should it make any difference that I have the CyanogenMod on this phone?

Advertisement
  2. Guian

Guian Well-Known Member

Nope the Rom doesn't make a difference. The phone will charge slower through the USB as opposed to the wall charger. Have you checked the following:

USB port powered up? -- I ask because I charge my through my Wifi router, and forgot to turn the router on one day...

Tried another USB port?

Checked your cable?

Hope this helps.
  3. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

USB ports don't put out enough, turn on everything, data n WiFi and it will barley be able to keep up, you must use the wall charger to get enough AMPs to keep up.
  4. testeraf

It does say charging but won't get above 1 percent. It must be that I have too much stuff running on the phone. But at 1 percent charge I can't get into the phone to shut things off. I'll bring a wall charger with me from now on.

I wonder what would happen if I had the phone at 100% charge then charged it with my laptop USB as I used the phone. Do you think the charge would stay at 100%?
  5. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Well-Known Member

I can charge mine via the USB, but that is on my desltop, it does take about 5 hours to get a full charge so I'm sure its what you have running that prevents charging. I alway keep GPS off and when I'm charging I sometimes turn off 3g also.
    Just an FYI if you are running low on battery turnng off 3G will still allow you to use the phone and most likely allow you to have the safety of a phone until you get to a charger.
  6. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

yep USB charging is beyond slow, learned that the first day I got mine, left it for hours and it barley got anywhere.

A car charger or the AC wall charger can put out enough juice where everything can be on, brightest screen, data, GPS, WiFi.... and keep it fully charged.

though be careful, the battery can over heat if left on to long once charged. Had to set up a mini fan for mine at home to keep the battery temp below 100F, as its always plugged in and on at home for tethering my tablet.
  7. testeraf

I'm thinking about getting an extra battery. The one in the phone says:

3.7V
    1500MAh
    5.6Wh

Do I have to get a battery with the EXACT specs? Would there be a battery more suited for this phone (holds more charge, for example)?
  8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

I just bought this, should be here tomorrow (gotta love Prime!). This is one hell of a deal, too.

Amazon.com: Anker 2 x 1600mAh Li-ion Batteries for LG Optimus U, Optimus T, Optimus One P500; LG Expo GW820, GW620; LG Optimus M MS690, Optimus V VM670 + Free Anker Multi-purpose USB Travel Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
  9. krisjerran

krisjerran New Member

It's important to never allow your battery to get this low in the first place. Fully discharging Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries can damage the materials inside them and make them unable to absorb a charge again. If your battery has been fully discharged, it will almost certainly take the AC charger and a LOT longer than usual to recharge it, if it can hold a charge at all. If it hasn't gone above 1% after 24 hours on the AC charger, it is dead. Try to never let it fall below 5%.

Have you tried a power management app like JuiceDefender? I was a bit skeptical, but installing the Ultimate version and tweaking the schedule and triggers so that the data services were turned on and apps allowed to check for updates only periodically drastically improved my battery life (and boosted my productivity, since I wasn't constantly checking my new email!). I went from 8 hours full-to-dead to still having 50% charge at the end of the day. It's set to automatically turn on data connectivity whenever I launch an application that needs it (browser, email, etc) so at worst there is a ~2 second delay while I wait for the connection to establish.

It gets the best savings with Root permissions which allows you to set CPU speeds for min, idle, and max power, but since you are running CyanogenMod, I doubt that you'll have any problem with that.
  10. Petrah

For all intense and purposes, the battery should not be allowed to drop below 30% (not 5%).

OpV does not require Juice Defender to maintain good battery life. Especially if you're rooted/rommed.
  11. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

+1^

Just turning off WiFi, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth, Auto Sync, and turn down the screen Brightness will help. Download a widget app to control these functions without having to have to dig into the settings.
    Downloading Periodic Auto Sync and setting it for every 4 hours for 1 minute will help keep the phone sync'd but no battery drain.
    Download an app called Air Push Detector (NoNameFace mentioned it in an older post). Delete or freeze the apps it mentions.
    When need be I can get 6 solid hours of screen on browsing (helping here) and only just be below 30%.
    If I go to bed with the phone on (screen off) and a 100% charge, when I wake it's still at 100%.

Going 32 hours before going below 30% is not uncommon, but average is about 22-24 hours.
  12. Petrah

Just by turning off those things I can get 4 days on a full charge. If you're running a CM7 variant rom, just add those ^ to the Notification Power Widget for easy access. If you're not rommed, a good free app to use is QuickSettings. It's not a widget, so if you're trying to save battery power that's a good thing. The less on your home screens the better (this includes wallpaper).
    AndyOpie150 likes this.