USB Debugging

1. rebelkc

rebelkc Active Member

Might sound like a silly question but what exactly is the above>

When I sync to my pc I get the message "usb debugging connecting" or something similar in the top bar. It doesn't happen when I view the memory card or just charge via usb?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

debugging mode is usually used for developers so they can debug any issues with their software.

Actually if you look in Menu>Settings>Applications>development you can see an option there to turn it on or off.

However, I get this when using htc sync even when off. I assume its something to do with HTC sync being the most useless and unreliable software in the world. Although, i could be wrong.

Anyway nothing to worry about, its just an annoyance.
    andyc1909 and rebelkc like this.
  3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I believe this is what enables the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) which allows you to send shell commands from the pc command line to the Android OS back-end.

USB debugging also has some form of effect on the phone itself; a number of backup apps don't work right unless this is enabled.

If you use neither, it's safe to disable. :) You do that in "Home->Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging".

This is to say you are wrong. Or at least, it might be a tie between that and the "New PC Studio" that Samsung uses. I wouldn't know -- I've never used HTC Sync. :p
    andyc1909 likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

5. rebelkc

rebelkc Active Member

Thanks for that, was worried it was a fault.

And yes even if you turn it off it springs back to life!