Usb debugging???

Last Updated:

1. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

when is it necessary to have turned on? if rooted do you need it turned on all the time?....do root apps need it turned on to function?

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

No, you don't need it turned on all of the time. Think its only really used when you are running "adb" (Android Debug Bridge) program (client) from your PC to your phone. Turning on USB Debugging on your phone allows the adbd (adb daemon) process to communicate with the adb client on your PC. Root apps might need it for making superuser (SU) requests.

If you are done rooting your phone and using the adb commands from your PC, you can leave it turned off. You can still "see" (mount) your phone as a disk drive to your PC without having USB debugging enabled.

edit: there probably are other programs other than adb (like fastboot) that also need this enabled. Waiting for the big guns (you know who you are :)) to chime-in for the final word.

re-edit: I would like to ammend my comments above and say that yes, you might need then when rooted so that you don't get hung on superuser permission requests. Saw a reference to this page http://xanderx.com/2009/06/14/fix-superuser-permissions-hanging-on-android/ in another thread this evening.

dirtmouth likes this.
  3. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok thanks for your response to my question. good to know