• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB device not recognized!

I have been having the same problem for about 2 weeks.

Here's what I did after I seen someone comment to clean the connections:

While the large end of the USB cable was unplugged from the computer, I proceeded to plug in and unplug the USB cable to the phone repeatedly for about 30 seconds being careful not to bend or force any connections.

I then plugged the large end into the computer and it finally established a connection.

Give that a try and see if it works. I could not thing of any other effective way to clean the connections without buying some over priced product.

Cheers

CanoeGuy

Upvote 0
I was having the problem on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant where the phone would charge but if I connected to a pc it would say the usb device malfunctioned. I did all sorts of things including trying on multiple computers, different usb cables, factory reset, and even dismantled my phone and re-heated the solder joints on the micro usb connector and none of that fixed it.

Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable. I cannot even tell that the piece moved but evidently it bent just enough to improve the contact points. Hope this ends up helping other people with this problem.

I was considering sending my phone out for the $35 repair from mobiletechvideos but now I don't have to.

Upvote 0
I was having the problem on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant where the phone would charge but if I connected to a pc it would say the usb device malfunctioned. I did all sorts of things including trying on multiple computers, different usb cables, factory reset, and even dismantled my phone and re-heated the solder joints on the micro usb connector and none of that fixed it.

Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable. I cannot even tell that the piece moved but evidently it bent just enough to improve the contact points. Hope this ends up helping other people with this problem.

I was considering sending my phone out for the $35 repair from mobiletechvideos but now I don't have to.

This one worked for me...
Big Thanks...

Upvote 0
I was having the problem on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant where the phone would charge but if I connected to a pc it would say the usb device malfunctioned....

I was experiencing the "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned" error and the method described above worked for me too!

Upvote 0

What a magic!!! It worked for me...God bless you for sharing

Upvote 0
OK.. I'm just gonna say.. This is ridiculous and the whole MICRO-USB standard needs to be recalled. My success rate with data connection VIA usb is near 10%.. Are you kidding me! I have tested 16 different cables.. 12 different PC's... 8 different Android devices. And my success rate is 1 out of 10!!!!! RECALL!!!

Upvote 0
Try this...it worked for me...Except I started getting this all of the sudden and Every single time I would connect to my PC.

I read this solution on the internet but did not think it would work...but I took 2 minutes and tried it and it worked! give it a try..you only have to lose 2 minutes...

1. hold your phone and look at the micro USB connector on the bottom edge of your Skyrocket

2. you will see a "tongue" inside the USB port.

3. put something "non metalic" (I used a flat wooden toothpick). Gently, lift up the "tongue"..
I used a twirling motion on my toothpick to raise the tongue up a little bit. Don't Go PRYING it up...just be gentle because you don't want to break your toothpick inside the phone or break the Tongue.

I did this and now I do not get the "USB device is not recognized". Give it a try and post here if it worked for you. Spread the word if it does.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
This worked for me:

1) goto 'Settings > About Phone > Software Info'
2) Tap 'Build Number' 7 times.
-- This makes you a 'Developer' and turns on 'Developer Options'

3) goto 'Settings > Developer Options'
4) Check 'USB debugging'
5) 'Select USB Configuration' was set to 'Charging only'
6) I changed the setting to 'MTP (Media Transfer Protocol
-kurtk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones