USB Docking Cables

Last Updated:

1. scrumo

scrumo Member This Topic's Starter

I left the USB cable that came with my phone at the office, so i decided to try and use a generic cable that i had lying around to transfer files from my computer to my phone (with the help of a micro USB adaptor). However, when plugged up to my computer, it only charges the phone but does not give me the option to mount the SD card as it does when i use the Motorola cable. The generic cable i have came with my external hard drive, and i've been able to use it to transfer files to multiple devices with no problems. I thought all USB cables were pretty much the same, so did Motorola put something like a chip in the cable to get people to buy OEM?

Advertisement
  2. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap cable from Monoprice and everything works fine with it. Maybe the cable you have doesn't have all the pins connected or it has a wire broken in it.. could also be the adapter is bad since your external drive still works.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The issue isn't an OEM cable issue ... the issue you're having is caused by using the mini USB to micro USB adapter. I bought several on eBay, and they work great for charging (which is what I bought them for anyway), but they don't pass data through them. (Not on my son's LG Env3 either.) I just chalked it up to being cheap adapters. Theoretically, they should work.

4. scrumo

scrumo Member This Topic's Starter

Ah, ok. I guess i'll just buy another USB to MicroUSB as a backup then. Thanks!

5. cuskit

cuskit Well-Known Member

The monoprice.com cables work fine, high quality at really low prices! Check them out - I've got dozens of their cables and all are awesome. mike