USB Drive question

Last Updated:

1. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone tried or does anyone know if you connect an external usb drive to the hero using an adapter for fit the mini usb plug, will the hero recognize or read the drive?

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

no the hero would need to be a HOST device in order to acknowledge an external drive...

3. pking

pking Well-Known Member

what marctronixx said.

requests to add usb-host capability are all over the android dev forums, and software-wise it's actually not very difficult to implement.

the problem is convincing the manufacturers that adding the hardware is a good idea. many simply come back with 'bluetooth can already do that', but if you've ever tried bluetooth file transfer you'll agree that bluetooth can almost never 'do that' acceptably.

usb host would open up a massive array of available peripherals, from keyboards to external sound cards, usb storage and even all those crazy usb gadgets (if only my hero could chill my beer!)

photography is another huge area for this kind of interoperability - it would be unendingly useful to snap some photos with your good DSLR, plug it via USB to your Hero, and send those pictures anywhere on the internet. rare is a camera that will support bluetooth file transfer - and you definitely don't want to do that with a 10mb+ image.

definitely on my wishlist for the next android phone.

4. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You are right about that. I was thinking more in terms of storage. I have found that because of the better battery life I know use my hero for everything(includes mp3 player and mp4 player). I am not currently pressed for storage but could be soon. Oh well. I guess if I don't want to swap out microsd cards I will have to fork out the guidas for a 32gb microsd card if and when it is available.

5. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

It is very easy to USB attach to any computer and transfer that way which includes to an external storage device. No need trying to make the phone a USB host device (I'm sure it can be done like has been done on the Noki N8* devices). I drag and drop files back and forth from a pc all the time and be done with it.

6. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

We need an app for that. :D

Pete