• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Driver for LG GT540 won't load, only bluetooth

rodrigt

Apr 17, 2011
Help! When installing drivers to connect my PC to an LG GT540 phone the Bluetooth seems to install OK, but NOT the USB driver, thus I cannot upgrade from OS 1.6 to 2.1.

This happens both on an XP PC and a Win 7 laptop. When I go to Device Manager>Ports I see "LGE Bluetooth..." and in DM>Modems I get "LGE Virtual Modem", but the phone still won't get recognized by the LG_PCSuiteIV_Setup, the LGMobile Support Tool (B2CAppSetup) or the KDZ updater.

Repeatedly I've uninstalled the above and retried loading the USB drivers by running the LG_PCSuite_IV and also by running LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.8.1.exe, but I get the same result.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks

Hi
I have similar problems.
Niether Win 7, yuk, or two computers running linux can see the GT540 as mass storage.
running lsusb in linux shows the phone, but its only reading the USB id. :(

I've installed Z4 and rooted, and apps2sd, via wifi, but the LG installer thinks the phones not connected with the usb cable connected.
firmware 1.6, kernel 2.6.29, software V10a-jun-04-2010.

My provider is Vodafone UK, I'm tempted to throw it back under warranty, as its just under 12 months since I had it.
Has anyone any suggestions how to get the USB functional ? before I do

thanks
Richard

Upvote 0
Hi
My provider is Vodafone UK, I'm tempted to throw it back under warranty, as its just under 12 months since I had it. Has anyone any suggestions how to get the USB functional ? before I do
Richard

I was not able to solve this connectivity problem, perhaps this info may be of interest to you.

Several months ago I succeeded connecting an LG GT540 made for Vodafone (bought at Amazon.com, US$115), upgraded the OS from 1.6 to 2.1 and it works fine in the US with an ATT SIM card. Thus I decided to get a second phone but then things went quickly downhill.

The second phone was made for Orange (UK I believe) and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to connect so I returned it. Worse yet, whatever I did in the process resulted in my not being able to connect my first phone anymore - LG technical support is non-existent. (Fortunately, since I only use it with GSM/G2/EDGE I don't need to connect it anymore. For up/downloading data to the phone I use an SD card reader.)

PS- Of possible interest to others: Phones made for the European do not receive G3 in the US...
http://theunlockr (dot) com/2009/10/07/how-3g-frequency-compatibility-works-why-your-unlocked-phone-doesnt-get-3g/

Upvote 0
Hi
The saga gets a bit worse, I used apps2sd to backup the apps, and it went through what seems to be the correct process, but I should have checked it, it made an empty directory !.
In the process of eliminating reasons why the USB connection wouldn't work I did a factory reset, it made no difference at all , but I found I lost all my apps.
I've reloaded most.
I'm very disappointed with LG, they have taken a unix based system, or an offshoot of linux to be upgraded with windows. Not at all logical especially to a hardened linux user as myself.

There must be another way of upgrading, ie upgraded from a preloaded SDcard.
Some of the more useful apps require 2.2 or newer, so 1.6 just reduces functionality to that of just a phone, or it will do unless the phone s/w progresses at the same rate as the same rate as the Android market.

Is anyone using linux to connect to the phone over USB, if so I'd be interested in the config.
I run Fedora FC15 x86_64 on both machines here.
TIA
Richard

Upvote 0
Hi
one major problem, the LG update tool thinks the phone is not connected.annd the tiny minds at LG, they must be tiny for thinking windos is the only operating sysytem, dont given provision for using any other conection than USB.

Apart from the missing link there appears to be no usb kernel module.loaded.
Without that no usb comms are possible.
any apks to update the kernel ????.
I can load onto the SDcard with FTP on a wifi connection.
Richard

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones