USB drivers causing buffer overrun in another programSupport

Last Updated:

1. Carnivore

Carnivore New Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 30, 2010
    Hi, I’m new to Android and to this forum.

I installed Kies 1.5.3 on my computer and plugged in my Captivate via USB. The phone was detected correctly but as soon as the USB drivers loaded on the PC, my AIM app crashed and produced an error message window saying:

Visual C++ Error
    Buffer overrun detected!
    Program: C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's
    internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must
    now be terminated.

AIM remained broken, even after disconnecting the phone, rebooting the PC and uninstalling Kies. I had to use System Restore to revert to a restore point before the Kies installation to fix the problem.

This happens every time I connect the Captivate for the “first time” and the drivers initially load, whether the phone is in mass media or Kies mode. I’ve run numerous virus and spyware scans since some malware is known to cause buffer overrun errors, but the machine checks out clean.

I’m still running WinXP SP3 and an old version of AIM 5.5.3598 (the Canadian version once popular because it was fast, light, free of games and other bloat). They have served me well for a long time, and the AIM app has been completely stable and trouble-free for me until now.

My situation may be rare because of the older software being affected. I realize I could update either my Windows or AIM app, but the point is that there seems to be an underlying issue with Samsung’s USB drivers to cause such a fatal problem with another app, even if it is old. If the coding is bad enough to take out my AIM, what else is being put at risk?