USB Host ModeSupport

1. dogshed

dogshed Well-Known Member

I've got trip in July and I would like to leave the laptop at home.
    I remember reading that usb keyboards won't work without some kind of adapter. Besides, I think I want to have the charger plugged in.
    What should I expect on bluetooth keyboard compatibility for the EVO LTE?
    Other threads say there are two standards and one keyboard I found said it was dual standard.
    Help.

Advertisement
  2. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

No one knows yet, but I would be 90% confident a bluetooth keyboard would work.

When the Evo 4G came out the BT stack did not have the HID profile so keyboards could not work. Since then the Evo 3D does have the HID (human interface device) profile so most standard BT keyboard work fine with my Evo 3D.

There is another, older Serial something or other which was needed as a workaround, but as I understand it, HID is more modern and also more common at this point. I have no reason to see why HTC would not use the same (if not more advanced) BT stack with the LTEvo than it did with the Evo 3D.
  3. dogshed

I ordered a cheap folding keyboard on Amazon and it arrived today just before the new phone.
    The first time it connects I was told by the phone to type a code into the keyboard and hit enter. After that it seemed to remember the keyboard when I turned bluetooth on and off.
    Amazon.com: HDE
  4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I'm sure BT keyboards will, since they work with the One X and I'm fairly certain they will use the same stack in the 4G LTE. USB ones unlikely to work since the One X doesn't have USB host/OTG support (yet).
  5. dogshed

I discovered that if I put the hinge on one leg and a little medially so the edge of the keyboard rests on the other leg I can type with it on my lap without folding.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

So, I grab USB Host Diagnostics to see if I can control an external hard drive.

I then find that of the four of these I have, none have the standard large USB socket, so I will have to monkey around with wiring.

Before I go overboard on this, has anyone tried it already?
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. ANDROIDULTRA

ANDROIDULTRA Member

Does the HTC EVO 4G LTE support USB OTG to connect a usb mouse?
  8. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

at this point, no.
    ANDROIDULTRA and PyroSporker like this.
  9. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

The stock software/kernel didn't support it out of the box, but I believe that you can find some form of USB OTG functionality when you root the phone and install a ROM/Kernel that supports it (not positive, but pretty sure someone has found a way to implement all or part of it by now).

I can't say for sure but a Bluetooth mouse may be of easier overall use when it comes to the Evo 4G LTE.

Samsung phones have taken better advantage of USB OTG right out of the box, but don't let this sway you because the HTC Evo 4G LTE is still a spectacular phone - hard to beat this chassis, screen, and software - but I'm impartial. Plus who wants to be like the tens of millions of other people that have blindly flocked to the Galaxy S III on name alone? ;)
  10. ANDROIDULTRA

ANDROIDULTRA Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm having an issue with a failed touch screen and I am unable to pull files from my phone as wifi and usb debugging were both off when this occurred.

Any ideas on how I can go about controlling the phone or extracting these files. I'm desperate to not lose those memories.
  11. marctronixx

PattiCakeUS likes this.
  12. gobige

gobige Active Member

I've seen a video on how to use a USB flash drive w/ the Evo LTE. I cannot find the appropriate cable anywhere, and am looking for help on how to economically buy it and use it w/ my phone.
  13. chris2vic

chris2vic Member

marctronixx likes this.
  14. AdmiralSirJohn

AdmiralSirJohn New Member

Did the 4.3 upgrade fix the lack of USB host mode? I just bought a SDR stick that needs a powered OTG cable (which I also bought). The standard OTG cable I have works fine for memory sticks, though...
  15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I don't know, sorry, but I do know that this will probably tell you what's up -

Check out "USB Host Diagnostics"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics
    Granite1 likes this.
  16. Tigger 1

Tigger 1 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to connect my 4G LTE to my tablet to transfer data? I tried to link them via Bluetooth but they couldn't find each other.
  17. marctronixx

smoke this thread over. the phone in its intial heyday was not able to be setup as a usb host device.

rooting the device can perhaps yield some options that may allow you to connect these devices.

if you are not rooted you may not be able to do what you are asking.

check out the rooting subforum and search there to see if anyone has attempted what you have done.
    Granite1 likes this.