• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Mass Storage help (issues connecting with devices? )

you say recently,

what changed on your device?

did you update firmware?

are you rooted?

tried different computer. different usb cable?

what operating system are you using on the computer?

At the moment I think it might be my computer. I haven't changed anything on my phone, its not rooted, I've tried a bunch of different USB cables and I'm on Windows 7. I have tried manually uninstalling the drivers through Device Manager and reconnecting the phone but it keeps coming up as an unknown device. I do have HTC Sync manager installed and that isn't detecting the phone either.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
for grins its recommended to try another computer. you dont need any fancy drivers to swap data to and fro.

if you have a home network, you can use apps in the store that transfer files wirelessly over your network. i use wifi explorer pro but there are others.

i dont have any drivers installed. if i need to plug up the phone (htc one max) (windows 8.1), its immediately seen as a drive and i can do as i please. dont worry about the htc sync trash, you dont need any of that.

Reactions: Danish_4116
Upvote 0
for grins its recommended to try another computer. you dont need any fancy drivers to swap data to and fro.

if you have a home network, you can use apps in the store that transfer files wirelessly over your network. i use wifi explorer pro but there are others.

i dont have any drivers installed. if i need to plug up the phone (htc one max) (windows 8.1), its immediately seen as a drive and i can do as i please. dont worry about the htc sync trash, you dont need any of that.

Yeah I'll give it a go on another computer when I go over to my friends house tomorrow. I just bought a whole bunch of albums (about 1GB worth) so I don't think it would be practical to transfer wirelessly, would it? I did some digging around in driver manager and I found this error message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Does that help in any way?

Thanks for your patience mate, its pretty frustrating when an otherwise awesome phone acts up like this.

Upvote 0
yeah could be anything causing the issue, but trying a different computer will easily let the class know if its the device or the computer. google the error code and "android" with it and I bet you will see others with the same issue....

ive transferred video files without incident. i use the wireless way every time and it never fails. 1 gig total music is not a big deal. factors depend on your wifi strength, interference in the freq you are using (im on the uncrowded 5ghz freq and using a draft-AC router with a laptop that has a draft ac dongle).

give it a try. if these are albums then transfer one at a time or two at a time. if its just tracks not in albums, transfer 10 at a time, etc.

you know what they say, once you go wireless, you dont go back! ;)

Upvote 0
Hello there,

I'm unable to sync my Outlook data with the data on my HTC One.

Apparently, HTC Sync Manager will do this. However, after starting the program and connecting the phone (I can hear the USB "connect" tone, and Windows Explorer shows the phone), HTC Sync Manager says "No phone connected".

I'm running Android Jelly Bean 4.3 on an HTC One (I *think* it's a One X), and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit version.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks, and Happy New Year to you all!

Upvote 0
Hello there,

I'm unable to sync my Outlook data with the data on my HTC One.

Apparently, HTC Sync Manager will do this. However, after starting the program and connecting the phone (I can hear the USB "connect" tone, and Windows Explorer shows the phone), HTC Sync Manager says "No phone connected".

I'm running Android Jelly Bean 4.3 on an HTC One (I *think* it's a One X), and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit version.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks, and Happy New Year to you all!
Be sure USB debugging is on and then when you connect phone to computer there is a box that asked if you want computer to use debugging say yes. you many need to unplug you phone and put the USB cable back in and it should show up. USB debugging is under developers options on my phone.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
need more info.

are you rooted? PRETTY SURE ITS NOT

what carrier? - 3MOBILE

do you have the latest 4.3 update? 4.4 (kitkat)? ANDROID VERSION 4.4.2

amplifier model number? ONKYO TX-SR309

tried a different usb cable? WILL GIVE THAT A GO

its possible this feature is not supported from the htc one.
- DONT KNOW , SORRY

thank you for your original reply.

Upvote 0
i read here:

Onkyo | TX-SR309

Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port

The TX-SR309’s front-panel USB port lets you access MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC audio files stored on a USB flash drive or iPod/iPhone

does not state its compatible with Android, only iphone/thumb drive. this could be the issue.

EDIT: if you see the usb icon in the display on your phone, swipe down the notification drawer and see if there are other options avail.

in order words, pull down the notification drawer , tap on the usb icon if present, ad see if it gives you other options.

Reactions: htc 1on3
Upvote 0
I have plugged the HTC one into the usb slot in 3 different laptops.sadly none of the 3 had an option to view files in "my computer". Can anyone explain why?

Welcome to the forums!

Answer to your question - not sure.

Are you running Windows or other? If Windows, which one, 7, 8 or other? 32 or 64 bit? Did you install HTC Sync?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi guys

Could anyone of you suggest me a solution for a strange issue I m facing in HTC One M7.

HTC One M7: Running on Android Kitkat (4.4.3) Sense 6.0

Whenever I am connecting my phn to any lappie/system, I am not able to access all folders in the lappie which ws nt the case earlier. I don't know y it's happening. I need to tk backup of whtsapp & viber using their respective folders on phone which I am nt able to see.

Please help.

Thanks.
LA

Upvote 0
assuming you are stock and not rooted and if i am reading your text speak properly, :rolleyes:

you can connect your phone direct to a computer using a usb 2.0 cable. best to connect to a usb 2 port rather than a 3.0 port.

once there, and if you use a PC (this may be different for mac) you should see the device show up under your "my computer" icon. it could be a media player icon, or a hard drive icon.. just depends on how its setup.

the go into your folders and copy past them to your computer or whatever you want to do.

Upvote 0
does the phone behave normally even though you see this icon?

if you haven't done so, try plugging in a usb cable (try a different one if you can) into the phone a few times, waiting a few seconds between, to see if this may "clear" the icon. you may have some debris in the port that could be causing this and/or could be the beginning stage of a physical issue with the usb port.

i take it this is the first time this has happened?

have you had this phone for a while? what the history of the phone (new? refurb? bought it launch day, etc etc)?

Upvote 0
So... It's a non-rooted HTC M7, on Verizon, with the latest update (lollipop). I connected the phone to my PC, so I could plunder through the files and move some items over to my hard drive (and a few music files from the PC to the phone), and the PC isn't recognizing the phone via USB. At all.

I don't know how long this has been an issue because I haven't connected the phone to a PC in a while.

HTC Sync Manager (on the PC) doesn't see the phone.
USB debugging is turned on.
Under Security I have Unknown Sources checked.
It's a good USB cable, and a good USB port - the phone charges when connected, I just can't access the file system.

I can't find HTC Sync manager on my phone at all - is this the problem (and, if so, where can I find the .apk for it). I suppose I could do this via AirDroid... but I'd sure like to know what's going on with the phone

Upvote 0
Normally I've never used HTC Sync either. Normally I can connect directly via a USB and it's fine.

I tried 3 ports.
It's a good cable, as far as I'm aware - I've used it with a different computer without issue.
Haven't tried a different computer yet.
Don't want to backup to cloud - not for the size of videos that I'm working with, although I guess I could use cloud as a holding place and then bring the files down from the cloud to the hard drive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones