USB Mass StorageGeneral

1. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

For those that read Engadget's initial review it said that the Galaxy Nexus does not support USB mass storage mode, but rather only MTP and PTP (media transfer protocols).

Check out this thread and quote about what that means and what to expect. First quote has a basic explanation of USB mass storage mode for your information.

Impromptu Q&A Session With Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage

Reddit thread: Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage? : Android

Advertisement
    :
    speede541 likes this.
  2. byrds8

byrds8 Well-Known Member

So Ill be able to plug in my phone to the computer and still transfer files right?
  3. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

Oh, wow, major bummer. Guess i'll have to return that box of USB sticks and micro USB adapters & cables I bought. :p

Sooooo... he makes a big deal of being able to plug this into a PC and read/write to it like a USB thumb drive. Is that new for Android? I just took for granted that this was sort of function to be expected.
  4. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

Bummer, google has always had really good support for other operating systems. Hopefully there is something for linux and chrome os soon.
  5. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Well-Known Member

Not new, just new way of doing it, used to u had to put it in USB mass storage mode and the phone couldn't use the sdcard while it was like that, sounds like this fixes that
    speede541 likes this.
  6. Yevs

Yevs Member

Ive been trying to transfer some photos for a while now. It copied 4 and wont do any more... i can see it as a drive and open files on it, but i cant transfer photos to the picture folder.... odd maybe a bug?
  7. kao

kao Member

i've transferred a fair few files over to mine from an xp machine and my macbook pro and it's been fine for me. seen a few people complain about it being slow but i haven't noticed it.
  8. Yevs

Yevs Member

No matter what i do i cant copy paste my old photos. Its driving me nuts. The only way to get them is via picasa...

I have transferred some pdf files no problem.... but photos just kill it.

Edit: just dropped the entire folder and its working. But selecting 400 photos and copy pating them kills explorer on win 7.
  9. momagic

momagic Well-Known Member

I'm having problems transferring files over to my GN. I'm using Windows 7 and it fails all the time!

Help!
  10. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Member

Over on xda some people are finding ptp transfer works better than mtp - on windows.

Linux / chrome / mac is going to be fiddly. :(
  11. droidfan1

droidfan1 Well-Known Member

Question - so I have all my apps backed up via Titanium Backup on my SD card. I can transfer the folder onto my computer. Then I can plug my nexus in, and put the folder on my nexus right? Or not? Since google removed USB mass storage, how can you put random files on the phone?
  12. Stigy

Even though you answered your own question below, yes you can still do this.

The point of this post was to calm down the people who think disabling USB Mass Storage means they cannot hook their phones to the computer and transfer files.

You can still do this except it goes over a different protocol, that's it.
  13. motm95

motm95 Member

This is still aggravating news for Mac and Linux users.
  14. droidfan1

droidfan1 Well-Known Member

Why?
  15. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Member

Neither Mac nor Linux have ootb support for mtp - microsoft tranport protocol is a proprietary windows thing (I think ptp is a variant).

Google provide a utility for mac users, no help for linux users.

Other than the SAV this is the thing making me consider buying some other phone. :eek:
  16. Stigy

Linux support seems to be relatively easy though.

But yeah it is frustrating for non-Windows users.

[Q] MTP on linux Ubuntu [Archive] - xda-developers
  17. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Member

I saw that and it may provide a solution but many of the follow up posts are along the lines of 'doesn't work for me' or 'works intermittently'. :rolleyes:

Over at the ubuntu forums some report it works consistently with xcfe but not with gnome; I don't want to change my desktop manager just so I can connect to my phone.

I've found several other suggested solutions, including setting up a ssh server and using adb push - one bloke has written an adb gui file manager but says it's a bit rough...

not doubt I will eventually be able to get files on to the phone but I resent having to spend time setting up something I expected to work straight ootb.
  18. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

Definitely disappointing that i can't just plug the GN into my desktop and access the files. Hopefully this will get cleared up soon. This was always one of favorite things about Android. Not needing to tinker with drivers or anything on my Linux machine
  19. Stretlow

Stretlow Well-Known Member

I'm by no means an expert on this, but i just plugged mine in, opened the folded and dropped 7 gigs of music, some wallpapers, some photos and the first season of family guy no problem
  20. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you are referring to a galaxy nexus. But the important thing is what OS is your desktop runnin?g
    droidfan1 likes this.
  21. Stretlow

Stretlow Well-Known Member

Yes the nexus, Windows 7 service pack 1
    dmiller2007 likes this.
  22. motm95

motm95 Member

And as stated before in this thread, MTP is a proprietary Microsoft protocol so of course it works OOTB on Windows. But not so on Mac and Linux. We have to turn to third party libraries and/or applications with questionable support.

As a long time Linux user and Nexus One owner, this is very disappointing.
  23. Stigy

Seems the other solution is phone on WiFi and FTP into the phone for Linux users -- just a thought.
  24. motm95

motm95 Member

I suppose I can use ssh to scp files over, or even use FUSE to mount the filesystem over ssh. Apparently, ICS fully supports USB mode -- it's just the Galaxy Nexus' design does not permit it due to no separate micro SD card. :/