• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB Mass Storage

Doubt it, it probably is setup for iphone and that's it. Even though android is more popular we still get treated like linux. Also keep in mind vehicle manufacturers are always a little behind the curve. Does it have bluetooth?

It does have bluetooth, but I've only been able to use it for voice calls... no music or GPS. Unless you have an idea how to force it?

Upvote 0
It does have bluetooth, but I've only been able to use it for voice calls... no music or GPS. Unless you have an idea how to force it?

Check in wireless settings, bluetooth, long press on the device and you should see a checkbox for calls and music. I use a bluetooth to fm adapter from motorola myself, wish I had the bluetooth built into my stereo.

Upvote 0
If you use ubuntu (hardy or newer):

sudo apt-get install mtpfs

Where's the disappointment? As a "long time" linux user you should be used to use the terminal once in a while.. i remember when I had to compile a graphical ui, because linux didn't have one ootb..

Have you actually done it and been successful? I've not had the chance yet (Oz) but in the threads I've found about mtps about 3/4 of people can't get it to work consistently.

I'm not much fussed since I don't expect to be doing alot of file transfers between my pc and my phone.

Other options such as wireless ftp or the cloud (Ubuntu One offers 5Gb of free storage) when on wireless may be easier to use.

Upvote 0
If you use ubuntu (hardy or newer):

sudo apt-get install mtpfs

Where's the disappointment? As a "long time" linux user you should be used to use the terminal once in a while.. i remember when I had to compile a graphical ui, because linux didn't have one ootb..

Um, thanks. I've been a Slackware user since 1999 and use the terminal all the time, hence my rsync bash script I referenced above. My primary "desktop" is Xmonad and I use the shell for all my work. Trust me, MTP support in Linux is a mess.

Upvote 0
hiya guys, wonder if you might be able to help.

got my galaxy nexus last week and all is good apart from the last app i've installed - 'alpine quest'. it normally stores off line maps on the SD card of the device, but this setting is configurable in the app and on this device is defaulting to "/sdcard/".

when i connect the phone to my win 7 pc i can browse the 'internal storage' of the device, but can't find where ICS spoofs the sdcard folder? is it on another partition on the phone that i cannot see from windows?

Clipboard01-13.jpg

Upvote 0
For those that read Engadget's initial review it said that the Galaxy Nexus does not support USB mass storage mode, but rather only MTP and PTP (media transfer protocols).

Check out this thread and quote about what that means and what to expect. First quote has a basic explanation of USB mass storage mode for your information.

Impromptu Q&A Session With Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage

Reddit thread: Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage? : Android

Sorry, but you and Dan Morrill are WRONG.

My Acer Iconia A500 tablet HAS a removable SD AND an Internal SD. USB Mass Storage "was" supported when I ran Honeycomb. Now that I am running ICS, it is NOT. Only MTP and PTP are supported.

Upvote 0
Yes, I do. The truth of the matter has not changed in those 6 months. The internet is loaded with people's dialogue about wanting UMS in ICS, and yet there are a few who are trying to disseminate the lie that is supported. But the truth is Google deliberately INTENDED to leave UMS out of ICS, in a move to push vendors of new Android devices away from ever including removable storage (ostensibly to make it easier for software developers to code applications for multiple devices). The information is out there, if you care to look.

What I am doing is leaving bread crumbs for the other poor souls who, like me, had to learn all this the hard way by spending hours of online research wading through these lies to get to the facts while trying to figure out why UMS, which worked just fine on their devices running Honeycomb and Gingerbread, suddenly is missing when they upgrade to ICS. MTP is about 6 times slower than UMS when it comes to transferring large groups of files ranging into the GBs.

People tend to forget that most forum information is posted "forever". Rarely does anyone go back to older threads that suddenly ended in the past and edit that information to reflect current changes, or correct it when it was wrong from the start. Yet they will tell people to slog through a 3000 post thread to find a single answer to a simple question, even if the answer changes 5 times in the timeline of the thread.

So, when I find something like this which has been proven to be incorrect, I like to point it out. If everyone did so in their research, we wouldn't NEED 3000 posts to cover a topic.

Upvote 0
Yes, I do. The truth of the matter has not changed in those 6 months. The internet is loaded with people's dialogue about wanting UMS in ICS, and yet there are a few who are trying to disseminate the lie that is supported. But the truth is Google deliberately INTENDED to leave UMS out of ICS, in a move to push vendors of new Android devices away from ever including removable storage (ostensibly to make it easier for software developers to code applications for multiple devices). The information is out there, if you care to look.

What I am doing is leaving bread crumbs for the other poor souls who, like me, had to learn all this the hard way by spending hours of online research wading through these lies to get to the facts while trying to figure out why UMS, which worked just fine on their devices running Honeycomb and Gingerbread, suddenly is missing when they upgrade to ICS. MTP is about 6 times slower than UMS when it comes to transferring large groups of files ranging into the GBs.

People tend to forget that most forum information is posted "forever". Rarely does anyone go back to older threads that suddenly ended in the past and edit that information to reflect current changes, or correct it when it was wrong from the start. Yet they will tell people to slog through a 3000 post thread to find a single answer to a simple question, even if the answer changes 5 times in the timeline of the thread.

So, when I find something like this which has been proven to be incorrect, I like to point it out. If everyone did so in their research, we wouldn't NEED 3000 posts to cover a topic.

Well, we'll find out in about 2 days, when ICS is released on the RAZOR, if your "theory" is correct it will no longer support UMS.

Upvote 0
I would love to be proven wrong here, because that might mean I can get UMS to work on my tablet with ICS eventually. So if you find the Razr to support UMS under ICS, by all means please let me know. :)

For the time being I have found Cheetah Sync to be a suitable workaround for non-media, non-photo file backups transfers to my PC.

Upvote 0
We just tested my son's brand new Asus Transformer Prime (TF201) tablet which came from the factory with ICS, and has an external SD card.

When he connected it to my Win7 PC, after installing the device drivers it needed, he has ONLY PTP and MTP available. There is no USB Mass Storage.

Under his system Settings/Storage/Picture Transfer Protocol, it says "Lets you transfer photos using camera software and transfer any files on computers that don't support MTP". But.......you can NOT transfer non-photo files using PTP between his TF201 and Windows 7 this way either. When you try, an error pops up "system resource in use" and blocks the file transfer.

So far the ONLY way I have found around this is to use WiFi. Dan Morrill keeps posting articles all over the web saying that devices running ICS which have an SD slot still support USB Mass Storage. He is lying. They clearly do NOT. According to one of his articles Google's plan here is to FORCE us to put ALL our files, no matter whether they be apps, photos, documents, media, "whatever" in a single place in INTERNAL MEMORY which we have far fewer options of using than we do with interchangeable SD Cards. This is BS. I won't buy a device which has no SD card slot. Yet I notice that all the latest Samsung Galaxy phones do not have one, and apparently also have no USB slot of any kind either.

This is a massive leap backwards into the non-smartphone era, where all you can do with the device is what the vendor wants to program into it.

Upvote 0
We just tested my son's brand new Asus Transformer Prime (TF201) tablet which came from the factory with ICS, and has an external SD card.

When he connected it to my Win7 PC, after installing the device drivers it needed, he has ONLY PTP and MTP available. There is no USB Mass Storage.

Under his system Settings/Storage/Picture Transfer Protocol, it says "Lets you transfer photos using camera software and transfer any files on computers that don't support MTP". But.......you can NOT transfer non-photo files using PTP between his TF201 and Windows 7 this way either. When you try, an error pops up "system resource in use" and blocks the file transfer.

So far the ONLY way I have found around this is to use WiFi. Dan Morrill keeps posting articles all over the web saying that devices running ICS which have an SD slot still support USB Mass Storage. He is lying. They clearly do NOT. According to one of his articles Google's plan here is to FORCE us to put ALL our files, no matter whether they be apps, photos, documents, media, "whatever" in a single place in INTERNAL MEMORY which we have far fewer options of using than we do with interchangeable SD Cards. This is BS. I won't buy a device which has no SD card slot. Yet I notice that all the latest Samsung Galaxy phones do not have one, and apparently also have no USB slot of any kind either.

This is a massive leap backwards into the non-smartphone era, where all you can do with the device is what the vendor wants to program into it.

For the sake of this discussion I accept your point that Google wants us off of SD cards. I'd like to know why? Seems like a lot of trouble to wean us off of SD cards, there must be a motive. What's Google's angle?

Upvote 0
That seems to be the real question, doesn't it? And they seem to be getting their wish, initially in the form of Samsung Galaxy phones.

So far I have read one account that doing so would ostensibly make it easier for software developers to code for multiple devices, if their hardware arrangements were less "fragmented" in the various ways memory is handled. Some have only internal memory. Some have that plus and SD card. Some have all that plus an additional internal "SD Card" such as my Iconia A500 tablet. I suppose that does present some hurdles, but I am not a programmer. So my thought on it is that what we have, with external SDs, has worked well so far, why mess up a good thing by taking the SD away?

One other online source by Mr. Merrill talks about several reasons dealing with the way memory is handled and mentions advantages toward preventing phone carriers from loading up parts of the "user accessible" memory with all their typical bloatware. I'll believe that when I see it. Anyone out there got a Samsung Galaxy (no SD) that came free of carrier bloatware? I'd be surprised if they do. But Mr. Merrill is spouting "facts" that we just proved dead wrong here. So I can't believe what he writes.

Change costs money. Corporations don't spend unless they fully expect a profitable return from doing so. There must be income at the end of this tunnel for Google, or it isn't likely they would be going to this trouble. Just where that income will originate I'll leave for you to ponder. But it has been proven they are in the business of marketing "information". My guess is that forcing devices to have only a single block of internally controlled memory must somehow make them think they will have a better resource to tap than they do now. One other thought which came to mind is that it might be a lot harder to root a device, and to tether your PC to your phone, if there is less access to memory by the user. MTP and PTP already severely limit which files your PC can access by USB. They may be headed to a protocol where only they will decide which files you can transfer, period.

My tablet's 16 GB SDcard is more than half full. From Honeycomb, I could access every one of those files with my PC. Under ICS, the PC sees the SD card as EMPTY, due to the restrictions in place by switching from UMS to either MTP or PTP. Over 9 GB of files are having my PC access to them blocked, just because I upgraded to ICS. I fully expect they will find a way to block their access by WiFi next.

Whatever is driving this change, you can rest assured it is not any reason to benefit consumers.

Upvote 0
New information has come to light on this issue for me today. It seems that Windows 7 on the PC side of the issue may be causing part of the problem. I connected the tablet to a WinXP SP3 notebook today and was able to copy any file I wanted from the tablet's Internal Storage or SD Card, including nandroid backups, which definitely will not copy to my Win7 PC without employing workaround tactics, such as zipping the nandroid folder.

Some folks with Windows 7 PCs are reporting on the TegraOwners forum that they have none of these problems. Others say they are having the same problems. One who is able to copy to Win7 says he has "some of the Win7 Security disabled". I am waiting for a reply to my question as to exactly what he disabled.

Perhaps the aforementioned journalist who is insisting ICS works on any device with an SD slot was only using Windows XP to copy the files.

Upvote 0
Neither Mac nor Linux have ootb support for mtp - microsoft tranport protocol is a proprietary windows thing (I think ptp is a variant).

Google provide a utility for mac users, no help for linux users.

Other than the SAV this is the thing making me consider buying some other phone. :eek:

Many are not understanding things. MTP is Media Transfer Protocol and PTP is Picture Transfer Protocol. Those people (like me) asking about UMS (mode not protocol) stands for (Universal serial bus) (Mass) (Storage) UMS [I personally shorten it to Universal Mass Storage] probably have a reason everyone is missing by saying you can do the same thing only using a different protocol. Well truth is no you can't. MTP and PTP protocols are those like cameras have. When you plug it in, it opens Picture Viewer or something like that and you only see either media or picture files... that is all. Most software shows you nothing else. Windows explorer will allow limited access by giving the device a name (my LGMotion is assigned 'LG-MS770' instead of a drive letter). What this means is that you can SEE the files on your phone but you cannot USE them on the phone because there is no proper path required by Windows. If you have a text file on your phone unless it is a special app, you cannot read it or view it just copy it to your pc then edit it and have to copy it back. A really pain in the _ss is that I use a file manager that tags and zips files even log a whole phone and zipfile it or any combo I want. MTP and PTP this cannot be done with any software I've seen so far. The best I've seen is WiFi connect with Zip ability but I still have to do ONE DIRECTORY AT A TIME WHICH CAN TAKE OVER AN HOUR TO BACK UP A 4-5 GIG PHONE FILES AND USUALLY WITH ERRORS, DUPLICATE AND DISORGANIZED BACKUPS ETC. NO BACKUP SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER FOUND BACKS UP ALL THE FILES I WANT. [oops sorry didn't realize was in caps, I write ALL my personal notes in caps so I'm so used to it]. I never use cloud (won't put my data on net, in fact personal data doesn't even go on a device with communication capabilities) anyway in UMS mode the device is as a flash drive... assigned a drive letter and there you go... directory structure to Make new directory, copy, open, edit, etc. any file you want. Many apps offer (copy graphics files, doc files, this and that files, but do not back up my special and proprietary software files like customized database files and emulator bin files and non-standard text extension files etc. like that. Mostly the pain is the difficulty of scrolling through all the directories to find the few that require constant backups it makes it terrible and also that files cannot be opened by software I use on my pc directly. Sure there may be an app that can open it like notepad will open an html file but i don't edit my html files in notepad I use my Web designing software same with my databases. What good does it do to be able to use the file in software you don't use and don't want to use?
OK I hope that helps. NOW I'm looking to see if the LG G2 reads UMS mode as a default. I read long ago that versions of Android something like 2.3 and earlier all read UMS mode by default and it was eliminated after newer versions. I also read that by (I think rooting but may require a different rom which I'd hate to have to try on an expensive phone and wreck it... at this point might as well just buy a phone that uses is and pay the carrier differeces?) anyway THAT is what I'm trying to find out about LG G2 if it has been FIXED to use UMS... I know Android can use it but it's disabled after ver. 2.3 or around there. Johnno

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones