USB OTG mounts microSD via USB adapter?Support

Last Updated:

1. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use the USB OTG cable to mount USB flash drives on the Galaxy S II, no problem. I tried putting a micro-SD card in a USB adapter and mounting that via OTG, but the micro-SD card is never recognized. I get no notice of media scanner running, etc. Yet, this same USB/micro-SD combo works fine in my laptop. Any suggestions how to get it to work with the SGS2?

Advertisement
  2. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member

Note that the USB OTG doesn't support NTFS, so make sure you're not using that format. Also, the USB adapter might want more power than the SGS2 can provide; try another adapter if you have one handy.

JimmyTheSaint likes this.
  3. JimmyTheSaint

Good call. I tried another adapter that looks to be of better quality, and it worked. It took about 1 minute for media scanning to begin, then another 2 minutes or more to complete the scan--that kind of slowness really cuts down on the utility. The other crap adapter works fine on my laptop, but the phone simply never recognizes it.

Mounting a USB thumb drive is recognized immediately, then the scan completes in 1 minute.

4. chiefroastbeef

chiefroastbeef Well-Known Member

I bought a generic adapter from a computer mall here in Hong Kong for cheap, but it doesn't work. Hopefully I can find something better around here.

5. JimmyTheSaint

My bad adapter was very flimsy, but wafer thin. Too bad it only worked on a PC. The adapter that works on both is branded "Ronald M2." It's clearly built better, but it's not wafer thin.

6. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Well-Known Member

I am interested OTG. Where do you get these adapters?

7. chiefroastbeef

chiefroastbeef Well-Known Member

You can get them online, if you don't want to risk having a dud, just get the official Samsung brand. I am still trying to find one that works (haven't looked very hard). :)

8. vtax

vtax Well-Known Member

or you can just buy a male/female usb extension cable from your local computer store, add that with your existing micro usb cable and you have a otg cable ;) does the same thing, just a bit lengthy.

9. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member

That probably won't work -- for the SGS2 to switch into OTG mode, it needs pins 4 & 5 to be shorted together.

10. zigmaram

zigmaram Member

why samsung not providing its acessories....(eg:eek:tg adaptor) before time...its almost 2 months it got launched in India.

11. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I bought mine on eBay for

12. Maturola

Maturola Well-Known Member