1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Tips USB OTG Works!

1. Unicorn512

Unicorn512 Well-Known Member

If you have an OTG cable, you can plug it into the SGS4 and then plug a USB drive into the cable.

The USB drive (like a thumb drive) will be mounted and is accessible. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ROOTED for this to work.

Any USB drive should work, as long as it gets enough power. Thumb drives don't require any extra power, but real USB disk drives probably will. Most of them come with with dual USB cables, with one labeled "power only" and if you plug that into a PC or laptop but plug the other "Power and data" cable into the OTG cable, you should be able to access your large USB drive from your SGS4.

One more way to share or transfer data!

When you want to remove the drive, go to settings, storage, and you will an option to "Unmount USB OTG storage". You will not see anything in settings, storage about OTG until you plug in a USB device.

Pretty nice....

Advertisement
  2. RhysLlewellyn

RhysLlewellyn Well-Known Member

I've heard that these OTG cables also allow you to plug in wired XBox360 controllers to the S4 as well. Presumably this means any USB controller pad will work if it's USB and provided the games you are playing also have the options to set-up controls for an external controller.

Either way, they are both very good reasons to buy an OTG lead and they're very cheap. I'm gonna pick one up soon :)
  3. Markyjay

Markyjay New Member

This doesn't seem to work on my Boost Mobile Galaxy S2. any ideas?
  4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

This is the Galaxy S4 section. You might try asking in the Galaxy S2 section of the forums where others using the same phone as you can better assist you. ;)
  5. Markyjay

Markyjay New Member

Thank you.