1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

USB printing?

1. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

Has anyone been able to print via usb otg from their Nexus 7? Would be a great feature, not sure if it's doable. But there have to be linux drivers for most of the newer printers out there that might work, so just wondering if anyone has done it or heard anything.

TIA

Advertisement
  2. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

IDK, I would think it should be possible somehow. But I can't try it at the moment so I will try later
  3. rootbrain

Thanks. Using USB OTG dongle I can connect my Dell Laserjet and using USB Host Diagnose app, it does recognize it as USB device, just not sure how to proceed. Pretty sure I'm going to need the printer driver. Will look for it, and see if I can find out how to install.
  4. shawn672

shawn672 Active Member

Interested!
  5. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

6. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

Don't bother with the cannon app all it prints is blank pages
  7. rootbrain

Yep, seen the wireless print apps, but I have a Dell laserjet without wifi, only wired USB so was wanting to use that to print if needed. Going to need a linux printer driver I'm pretty sure. maybe a generic postscript driver would work. Still looking around.
  8. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Reviews say they were able to print USB with dongle
  9. rootbrain

You have a link? I have USB OTG dongle, recognizes a USB device but not as a printer. Perhaps I need to use terminal with the lpt command and set up the printer via unix?

I only know basically, but could Google it I guess. But any strong Linux sys admins maybe help with that it would be greatly appreciated. The Dell laserjet I have can be used as generic postscript printer, although there would be some things that wouldn't format correctly I'm sure. Most would though.

TIA
  10. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Link
  11. rootbrain

Jove, appreciate the link again, sorry I didn't understand. However, I'm looking for usb printing (per the thread title) because I don't have wifi to my Dell laserjet, so this app isn't workable for me.
  12. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

I've used this app, bought paid version a long time ago. Just spits blank pages with my Brother DCP7065DN, but works with a old HP Laser jet 1000. over Wi-Fi so its kind of a shot in the dark. The publisher itself is also very rude in dealing with costumers and difficult to get a hold of.
    If you miss the Google return window and it doesn't work for you kiss your money goodby.
  13. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Reviews say it works USB. but like the guy above me said, its a shot in the dark. And it costs $13.
  14. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Is it possible to set up your printer as a Google Cloud printer, via your PC? Then not only could you print wirelessly, but you wouldn't even need to be on your home network to do it...
  15. rootbrain

I think I need static ip's for that don't I? Everyone has 192.168.x.x internals and if I use my providers ip, hows it know which 192 to go to from there?

If anyone has a link on how that can be done with dynamic ip's I'd appreciate that. Any info would help, but really just a printer driver so I can plug my USB laserjet into the Nex7 would be much simpler I would think.

Still looking.