USB Problems??

Last Updated:

1. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My phone has been working fine, up till last night. All of a sudden when I plug it into USB I get an error that there was a device malfunction. In dev man there's a Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume that windows says cannot start properly, and a unknown device under USB.

I've system restored, I've power drained, I've tried on 3 pc's. Same thing. All pc's are running windows 7 64 bit.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. digger44

digger44 Member

I had a problem where (all of a sudden) the PC just would not see the Captivate... no reaction at all when you plugged in the cable! I un-installed / re-installed the drivers... uninstalled Kies (don't waste your time with this app)... changed the USB drivers... nothing. I even restored my PC to when I know it was working... still nothing. After all of this, it dawned on me (OK... I'm an idiot) to re-start the Captivate (turn it off, then turn it on). Guess what... So, just in case you haven't done this...

3. rob989_69

Thanks for the reply, yeah, it's been rebooted a number of times since this started.

4. djsmvp

djsmvp Active Member

Im having USB problems as well with Windows 7 32bit. It either wont react, device malfunction, or connect if im lucky. Usually reinstalling the drivers have helped but its usually short lived.

5. rob989_69

Yeah, I've reinstalled drivers every which way. I'm convinced it's the phone or the cable because it happens on 3 different computers, two of which have never been connected before.

I recently setup Clockworks ROM backup and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

6. rob989_69

Anyone else have any clues? I'm really stuck here, I Can't get my pc to see it therefor can't even reflash to stock??

7. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I can't get my Win7 64bit to see the phone, at all....I plug it in, it says usb connected on the phone, but I never see anything on my computer.

8. rob989_69

Pull down your notification bar and click USB then Mount. Also need to be in Mass Storage mode.

acp likes this.
  9. acp

acp Well-Known Member

lol oops

10. rob989_69

No problems.
    Pretty much given up on my issue. Gonna try at work tomorrow. If that's no good ill take it to the art store.