USB Tether option in Wifi

Last Updated:

1. andadroid

andadroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this has been answered--search revealed a lot of usb tether app related questions, but didn't seem to address this. Maybe it's obvious.

My first droid died recently (RIP), and thankfully the insurance did have droid 1's to replace it (refurb). My original had the raised keyboard, this one doesn't. Otherwise seems the same--except: under Settings-->Wifi and Networks is a tab called "Tethering." So I plugged it into my computer, turned on USB Tether, and yet I couldn't seem to get internet from the phone's data service. Is this a weird, non-working foyo feature?
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. nightelvesreasy

nightelvesreasy Well-Known Member

its a new feature VZW added into 2.2, you can tether internet through your phone for i believe a extra $30 a month, BUT thats if you want a 2GB data cap, your other option is to download either EasyTether or PDAnet off the marketplace and get the joys of thethering for a small price after your trial software is up, you can still tether with either program after your trial expires, but you won't have access to HTTP sites that require a username and password. Me personally, I use EasyTether, its only $9.99 one flat fee, and it works great

3. keepervq

keepervq Active Member

or you can root and get it for free, wifi or wired.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Why do you think a WiFi tethering setting has anything to do with USB tethering? USB != WiFi.

5. andadroid

andadroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone. I was hoping it was something free-er...

takeshi: I Don't understand your question. It's not a wifi setting, it's a network setting. According to the phone, it allows me to share my data plan with my computer through a USB cable. Said nothing about signing up for a service, however.

6. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member

I stopped by Verizon yesterday and was told it's $20 for 2 gb of tethering.

7. nightelvesreasy

nightelvesreasy Well-Known Member

ok $20, either way its a serious waste of money in my opinion, i can blow through 2 gigs pretty quick by just sitting on youtube or streaming music

8. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member

Hard to compare $20 per month with free.

9. csoga

csoga Active Member

It is free, I'm using USB tether on my laptop right now... and I'm not on any VZW "tethering" plan.

For that matter, WiFi tether is easy and free too, but it really sucks my battery down fast.

How I did it:

1) root phone (free)
    2) install ROM manager (there's a free version, but I paid for Premium)
    2) install CyanogenMod 6.0.0 (free, unless one feels compelled to donate)
    3) install slayer 1.1 ghz kernel and SetCPU app, and crank that baby up to 1100 (free, see above caveat)

USB:

-plug in cable
    -goto Wireless and networks settings/Tethering
    -checkmark in USB tethering box
    -first-time run, computer says something about "new NDIS network"... just OK your way thru this and the 'puter will connect to it
    -Surf away

WiFi:

-start WiFi Tether app on phone (not sure if it came with CM6, or if I had already downloaded it?... either way, it's free)
    -on computer, right-click on Network icon in System tray, click Connect to a network, then AndroidTether, and follow the prompts
    -Surf away

I probably left out some steps, but it really is free (of monthly charges), and pretty easy too! :)