USB Tether will not work with PCSupport

Last Updated:

1. toolwarrior

toolwarrior Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

New Evo owner here. Love it so far, but having trouble getting the USB tether to allow my PC to use the phone as a modem.

The manual is really vague on this subject and I followed what it said, but no luck.

Here is what I have done:

Installed HTC Sync on my laptop.
    I plug the USB cable into both the phone and the laptop. The phone indicates via the USB symbol that it is connected.
    I choose the USB tether in settings, but get an error message that says:

Data Call Failure

Error Code 67 Registration
    failure. Your PCS Vision
    username and/or password may
    be incorrect. Please try again.

What am I doing wrong here guys? Where was this username and password ever entered? I must be missing a step or doing something out of sequence.

Please advise. Thanks.

Rich

Advertisement
  2. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Sprint no longer allows free internet sharing of their network via tethering. That was lost with the 2.2 Froyo update. To use your phone as modem, you have several options:

-Subscribe to Sprint's Hotspot service at $30.00 per month. This will allow you to connect via Wi-Fi 802.11 up to six devices to the Sprint network. It works pretty well, but don't expect to see the same tower-to-device speeds on your laptop or P.C. 50% through-speeds is about average.

-Easytether download from the Market. There is a free version that offers connection to HTTP servers only (non-secure) It is very fast, showing 100% through-speeds. The paid version (one time charge of $10.00) allows unrestricted access to all servers (HTTP & HTTPS).

-PdaNet download from the market. Same as above but the one time charge is $30.00. It also offers Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and wired (USB) connections. It is faster than Sprint's Hotspot, but not as fast as Easytether.

-Root your phone and install Wireless Tether. It is free, has no restrictions, is faster than Sprint's Hotspot, but slower than Easytether.

I use Wireless Tether for casual surfing and Easytether for streaming Netflix to my television. The difference in speed is the difference between watching Netflix in standard definition or Netflix in H.D.

Hope this helps.

edwelly and toolwarrior like this.
  3. toolwarrior

toolwarrior Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, Thank you tm. Very informative. I guess I read the forums wrong. I was aware that you could not use the phone as a hotspot without root, but I thought that I had read that Sprint still allowed on computer to tether via USB without the 30 dollar charge. Why do they still have that function on the phone for USB tether, if they don't allow you to use it? Humm.... It sounds like the next best way to go is Easytether. I can try it out and see if I like it and the speeds. I get 4G at my house and was getting some pretty smokin fast download speeds when I checked the phone via speedtest.net (around 7Mb). Is there any downside or negative effects from installing Easytether? Any Benefit to Pdanet? I am a little nervous to try root at this point. Ultimately I will, but I want to get to know what the phone is like unrooted first so I can spot if I mess anything up rooting.

Again, thank you for your insightful post. :D

Rich

4. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Slow and steady wins the race. I started with Sprint's Hotspot, became disgusted with the ridiculously slow speeds, typically 50% of what Clear was delivering at any moment, and went with PdaNet and Easytether. I tried them both back to back, and wired speed trumped wireless convenience.

As for rooting your phone, I'm with you on that. It took me 3 months to work up the courage to do it. As it turns out, it was alot faster and less aggravating than a typical call to Sprint's customer service department. The latest one-click route from Unrevoked is so easy it's funny.