• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mister_tu

Nov 11, 2009
Does anyone know if you can get a usb to micro usb adapter and plug a flash drive into it and the Incredible will recognize the files? Say I have a 64gb flash drive that has tons of music, videos, and pictures on it and I want to play/view it on the incredible, can I do that?

Does anyone know if you can get a usb to micro usb adapter and plug a flash drive into it and the Incredible will recognize the files? Say I have a 64gb flash drive that has tons of music, videos, and pictures on it and I want to play/view it on the incredible, can I do that?
No.

Technically, it is possible to do, but incredibly difficult. I do not have first hand experience with the method I am describing below, so there will be some inaccuracies, someone else can feel free to correct me or to find the applicable article I'm referencing as I can't seem to right now. I am not an electrical engineer...

First, the Incredible acts like all flash drives in that it is a slave device. A computer is the controlling device. There is a way to turn a phone into a controlling device, but it requires you to root and flash your phone to replace the usb drivers. I believe this is doable on the Nexus One, but not yet on the Incredible. Second, you will not find a cable that will do what you want it to, so you must splice together your own cable. There are dangers in splicing together usb cables related to how power is transferred from the controlling device to the slave, but lets just say it has the potential to fry your usb ports on both devices if not done properly. Also, if you connect two controlling devices with your properly spliced cable you will fry both usb ports. Lastly, in order to use your usb port to charge your phone and sync with your computer again you will need to reflash your device, probably wiping all the information you transferred over.

All that said, you still can't do it until the device is rooted and drivers made available, so no, its not possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones