USB to Wifi app?

1. Whiteblazer01

Whiteblazer01 Member

Hi everyone! I'm switching over from Windows Mobile (yay!), and I am a big user of WMWifiRouter. I know there are some Android apps for tethering, but there is a feature of WMWifiRouter that allows me to connect usb to wifi, and enable my phone to be used as a wifi adapter. Is there such an app for Android? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Whiteblazer01

Whiteblazer01 Member

Does anyone know of such an app? I've been looking around in the meantime, but this would be very nice to have. :/
  3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Why would you want to use your phone as a wi-fi adapter when you can simply tether it?
  4. Whiteblazer01

Whiteblazer01 Member

Home network is much faster, using an Xbox to connect for System-link play. Before you ask "why don't you use an ethernet cable?", I don't want a long wire running through the house. And yes, I suppose I can buy a wireless adapter, but I don't want to.
  5. A.Nonymous

Wireless isn't going to be faster than 3g unless you have a crappy signal in your house. I'd run a wire before I relied on wireless. Gigabit wired is so much faster than wireless it's ridiculous.
  6. Whiteblazer01

Whiteblazer01 Member

Running a wire from the router to the xbox in my house is not an option.

Is there such an app that would allow me to use my phone as a wifi adapter?
  7. A.Nonymous

Depending on the setup in your house, it could take all of an hour or two to do.
  8. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Have you tried using a usb tethering app and connecting the phone to your wifi router?
  9. antifaithstl

antifaithstl Member

FIXED: (well, maybe for me but still...)

1st off, "A.Nonymous" is acting like a dick.

2nd, In Googling this specific issue for myself, not wanting to run a 40ft CAT5 to where I was working, I plugged in my Nexus S via USB to a freshly installed Win7 Home Premium x64 box. Drivers installed automagicly. I turned on USB tethering WHILE having the phone connected to my home Wifi.

At first, I didn't know if it was connected via 3G or my home Wifi, but as soon as I typed in my wireless routers IP address in my browser & was able to log in, I knew I was on my home's network, not my carrier's 3G connection.

I can't say this will work for any other person on earth, I'm just letting you know that for me, it really is acting as a wireless adapter via USB tethering.

NICE!
    Hope this info helps someone else.

MetalGeek.
  10. XperiaX10Miniz

XperiaX10Miniz New Member

Fired up the X10mini, disabled "Data Traffic" (3G). Downloaded Easytether(free from app market) and installed its counterpart on the computer.

Connected the Droid to my Wifi Network, Plugged in cable to computer and clicked connect.

Yes. You can use your droid as a wireless network interface.