USB: What am I doing wrong?Support

Last Updated:

1. RonH54

RonH54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This might be wrong forum so move it if need be. I have loaded the Samsung USB drivers for Windows 7. I connect my Captivate and I can go to Device Manager and under Portable Devices is shows the two new drives(I have a external sd card in my phone) but I can't access these drives under Windows Explorer(they not even listed).I can go to Admin. Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management and the 2 drives are listed but no info on Space. If I go to my phone it shows both drives "Mounted" and it list the amount of space available. I don't have my phone Rooted but I can Root if need be. What do I need to do so that I can see these 2 drives on my PC under Windows Explorer so I can add MP3s and Ringtones to phone via my Computer?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Do you have the USB mode set to "Mass storage"?

If so, try setting it to "Ask on connection" and see if that works. If it does, you might be able to switch back to "Mass storage".

3. RonH54

I got set on Mass Storage, I'll try change setting and see.

4. RonH54

Well I changed to "ask on Connection". Powered phone off then back on,when I plugged in USB connection it didn't ask me to do anything? It did make a connection though because my phone started charging and if I went to Device Manager the 2 storage areas on the phone were listed just again not accessible.

5. btswein

btswein Well-Known Member

Are you using 32 or 64 bit? I didn't load any drivers, just installed Kies and let Windows go search for the drivers and it worked fine for me, just be sure to restart your computer after installing Kies and the drivers. I also had the phone set to 'Ask on Connection.' After I installed Kies, my phone showed up in 'Computer' as a drive.

6. RonH54

I am running 32 bit. The Kies software you talking about it that the "mini kies" I see guys talking about here? Do you think I should uninstall these Drivers I have added before doing the Kies software?

Thanks

7. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

I will venture a simple answer to a situation like this that I've seen a lot in these forums..and this is from first hand knowledge of my experience. When I first got the Captivate, I also did all this stuff to connect and the PC would show the drives, but say they are not accessible...then being new to Android, I noticed the little drop down shade-so I pull it down, and ONLY THEN did I notice you have to MOUNT the darn USB drive..then, voila..all is good

Edit: That little shade thing is new to every android user and it should be noted from the gitgo that you have to make that extra step to see your device on a pc..I had never seen that before, so I'm pretty sure it's easily overlooked

8. RonH54

I have done the Mount thing from the Pull Down and still can't access the drives on my Computer. The thing is I have done it once somehow because I created a Folder on my Captivate for Ringtones and MP3s and I have place some Homemade Ringtones and 4 gig of MP3s on the phone there via my Computer but I just can't get it to do it again. I know I am just missing something somewhere. I know that time I did it before I didn't just any Kies software I swear I just loaded the Captivate drivers and once I mounted the Captivate I had access on my Computer I just can't duplicate it....LOL

Thanks

9. RonH54

OK finally got it. I had the Captivate settings for the SD Card and the phone as Mounted on the phone. Once I unmounted them there and plugged in my phone and used the Pull Down screen and did the Mount there the drives appeared on my Computer.

Thanks again all

10. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member