• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USCC Mobile & WiFi Hotspot/Tethering

kmf

Android Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2010
Northeast Iowa
@Yeahha: thank you for the very useful post!

For further clarification, US Cellular does allow Mobile and/or WiFi Hotspot usage and Tethering with the Data Plus packages. You are already paying for the 5G of data usage, so why not use it with your laptop, and other devices. It is legal to do so.

The risk that you run is going over the 5G limit of the Data Plus plan. You will pay dearly for the overage. Of course USCC recommends that you sign up for the $10 plan to get an additional 5G per month.

I am occasionally in "Timbuktu" and happy to know that it is legal to use the Mobile Hotspot/Tether feature. Thank you USCC.

Reactions: Yeahha
I am glad you find my post helpful :D

It is my understanding that if you have an Android phone you are required by US Cellular to have a Data Plus package. I agree the overage charges are very high at $0.25/MB :eek: but it is limited to at most a $200 charge for overage in a month :rolleyes:

What would worry me more is the line in the ToS
Anyone using more than 5GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice.
where if they decide you are a burden to the network they can decide they don't want to provide you with service anymore without notice. Such a nice policy ;)

Reactions: kmf
Upvote 0
Well, as a customer since 1998, and if "they" consider me a burden to the network, and if my loyalty is worth no more than that, then Verizon looks pretty good. I have 2 phones on the Data Plus package and the average data usage per month is 2G total. The occasional times that I use the Mobile Hotspot feature does not rack up that much more usage.

Thanks for your response!

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
From what I can tell phone carriers will allow you to abuse their network for a long time before just disconnecting service. I am on VZW and have surpassed 20 GB in a month downloading free audio and video streaming on my phone and never got a notice about excessive use. From talking with other people on other networks they have had about the same experience. Almost all (if not all) the phone carriers have a clause in the ToS that says they reserve the right to end the contract at any time if they decide your usage is excessive.

Reactions: kmf
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones