use a proxy through a router?

Last Updated:

1. cruisey1987

cruisey1987 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

I was hoping you could help me with an issue I'm having with the wi-fi on android. As many of us know, android has no native support for proxies, unfortunately my school's network uses a proxy server to access the internet. I have a wireless router connected to the network so i can have wireless on my laptop and such. What I was wondering was, can I use the router to allow my android phone to access the internet as well? I reckon it's just a matter of forwarding the right ports to the phone but I'm not sure which ports are in use. I'm using a htc desire and a d-link dir-600 router.

Any advice on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

cruisey1987

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Your school lets you install your own wireless router on their network? That is completely shocking to me.

3. cruisey1987

lets leave the question as to whether my school allows the router or not for another day...

4. cruisey1987

nobody has any ideas on this?

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I have ideas, but I'm not comfortable helping you basically hack your school's network. I'm a sysadmin myself and would be extremely pissed if I found out one of my users put an unauthorized WAP on my network and configured it to bypass security I'd put in place.