use adb outside of root procedure?

Last Updated:

1. DomesDKG

DomesDKG Member This Topic's Starter

how do you get adb shell to work outside of the root procedure?. I successfully rooted my incredible, but I wanted to go back and edit some system files using adb. I have to switch sd cards to get the root process to work, so I don't want to have to open up my phone and switch the card every time I use adb. Is there some way around this?

Advertisement
  2. Diabl0

Diabl0 Well-Known Member

3. DomesDKG

DomesDKG Member This Topic's Starter

I know that, the problem is that I want to use adb to edit the files in my /system folder. BUT when I try to use it now, I still get the "device not found" error and all the commands I try to execute fail. If I go back and do the root procedure to the step where it recognized the device I can excecute commands just like you do to root it, but I don't want to go back and do all of that every time just to use adb shell.

4. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

If you've used unrevoked to flash a custom recovery, getting back to recovery to use adb is trivial. If not, go read the above linked page again.

5. ArmlessRifleman

ArmlessRifleman Well-Known Member

Make sure your phone is plugged into your computer. Boot the phone while holding power and the volume down button, then choose recovery. Once Clockwork recovery has loaded select partitions menu and since you want to write to /system choose "mount /system". You should then be able to adb to your phone and modify files within /system.

6. Diabl0

Diabl0 Well-Known Member

x2 on what Armless said which is also in the link I provided in section 7.