• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use an N1 for a week and try to go back to a Hero

darrinaltman

Oct 11, 2009
I am loving the N1 for so many reasons. Just yesterday a friend of mine asked me a how to Android question so I told him to show me his phone and I would show him how to do what he wanted. The screen aside, I would not be able to deal with the slowness of the Hero any longer. This one was the Sprint Hero, which I had and never noticed such slowness. The N1 is a monster.

What still blows me away is how much slower and less responsive the N1 is compared to the HD2 which both have Snapdragon 1ghz processors and similar memory I believe. Anyone have any idea why that is the case? Obviously, the OS is different, but Android is newer and should be much faster than a WinMo 6.5 phone with the Sense UI on top and I do not see it, I see the exact opposite.

I've turned off the transition animations on the N1 as well and it's much snappier when I do that, but its still not as fast as I would expect it should be. From my perspective is should be visibly faster than the Droid with 40% more processor, but I do not see that at all. That is on a Droid running the 2.1 OS so I'm sure that helps the Droid speed.

With that said Hero/Droid Eris are slow as molasses, that is why we aren't using them for roll out at my company. If you are comparing an N1 against a Hero class phone yes it is a beast, but I don't know what it isn't more of one compared to the newer models.

Upvote 0
What still blows me away is how much slower and less responsive the N1 is compared to the HD2 which both have Snapdragon 1ghz processors and similar memory I believe. Anyone have any idea why that is the case? Obviously, the OS is different, but Android is newer and should be much faster than a WinMo 6.5 phone with the Sense UI on top and I do not see it, I see the exact opposite.

I've turned off the transition animations on the N1 as well and it's much snappier when I do that, but its still not as fast as I would expect it should be. From my perspective is should be visibly faster than the Droid with 40% more processor, but I do not see that at all. That is on a Droid running the 2.1 OS so I'm sure that helps the Droid speed.

With that said Hero/Droid Eris are slow as molasses, that is why we aren't using them for roll out at my company. If you are comparing an N1 against a Hero class phone yes it is a beast, but I don't know what it isn't more of one compared to the newer models.

The speed of the processor is not everything. The Droid has a very good processor that probably is very close in actual processor capabilities as the Snapdragon processor. My main point was how I loved the Hero and was never bothered by the speed and then now going back it is so noticeable.

Upvote 0
That is interesting. I have Hero and am wondering how anything can be so much faster that it makes a big difference.

In reviewing all the specs and talk of nexus; i really dont see any compelling reason to upgrade. I dont need a flash camera and hero will get 2.1. And there are a couple things I would loose; like 7 home screens and multitouch!

I guess if I tried it I might think different. Thats the problem; there is no where to try a Nexus!

So for now Im waiting for a phone that is a bigger improvement.

Upvote 0
That is interesting. I have Hero and am wondering how anything can be so much faster that it makes a big difference.

In reviewing all the specs and talk of nexus; i really dont see any compelling reason to upgrade. I dont need a flash camera and hero will get 2.1. And there are a couple things I would loose; like 7 home screens and multitouch!

I guess if I tried it I might think different. Thats the problem; there is no where to try a Nexus!

Be careful... I switched to the N1 from the Sprint Hero. I got craptastic service on T-Mobile in a supposedly "Best" area. I wish it was released on Sprint instead. I had to return and am waiting for it to show up for Verizon.

Upvote 0
The N1 is a monster!

I got out of my Sprint contract with the change to the user agreement they made with the regulatory fees as the first of the year. I had the HTC Hero with Sprint.

I loved the Hero but once I used the N1 it's speed is not comparible to any other phone I have used. Even having multiple apps open in the background doesn't slow down the N1....it just speeds right through any task!

Upvote 0
This is so true...I gave my UK Hero to my wife and just restored it and reset it and realized....man this thing is slow and a bit more of a pain to set up. Actually have 1.5 ROM on that phone, and after doing a reboot completely lost Google Maps. Then I learned that now I can ONLY sync it to a PC so I can get the upgraded ROM exe file. WTF???

Now how many weeks or months until the newer faster device comes out? I hope I don't get DROIDED.......

Upvote 0

I have been with Android since the beginning (G1) and I've used the Hero rom for 4 months on my Google Ion and Now I have The Nexus One and I'm not going back this is a huge difference compared to that phone. It's the perfect combination of software and hardware especially since you are using a touch screen phone (I don't like hardware keyboards). Also from what I'm hearing the 2.1sdk that was just released isn't the same as the 2.1 on the Nexus and since I've played with the 2.1 hero rom I can confirm that they aren't the same. Andy Rubin said only phones that have a fast processor like the Nexus One are going to get the same software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones