• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

use android in another country without sim/data..etc?

bone2006

Apr 12, 2010
I'm traveling to Europe next week and would like to only take my android phone around instead of a netbook and was wondering if it's possible to use it without the sim card or how to disable everything so I'm not charged?

I have the tmobile HTC magic that has a custom rom (cynangenmod) and would like to take it to Europe to use the browser as well as the GPS if possible, but don't want to be charged.
I have coplit for gps, so I don't need internet data when driving.

Thanks in advance

Of course you can use copilot without service.
If you don't have roaming, it's not problem, just the phone will try to connect to all networks and this can drain your battery, so turn Airplane mode on.
If you have roaming and still want to receive calls, just disable data in Android 2.x (mobile data, mobile data in roaming or automatic synchronization) or just install APNDroid, it can disable all data transfers automatically.
Without SIM (or with SIM and not connected to network) the only number you can dial is emergency (its 112 in Europe) for free.
And, of course, if you want to use the prone as browser (if you mean internet browser), it will work just with Wi-Fi.

Upvote 0
Of course you can use copilot without service.
If you don't have roaming, it's not problem, just the phone will try to connect to all networks and this can drain your battery, so turn Airplane mode on.
If you have roaming and still want to receive calls, just disable data in Android 2.x (mobile data, mobile data in roaming or automatic synchronization) or just install APNDroid, it can disable all data transfers automatically.
Without SIM (or with SIM and not connected to network) the only number you can dial is emergency (its 112 in Europe) for free.
And, of course, if you want to use the prone as browser (if you mean internet browser), it will work just with Wi-Fi.

I thought airplane mode would turn off everything the device broadcast/received, because it's originally designed for when your in the airplane. But to my surprise GPS worked while in airplane mode.
But of course wifi doesn't work with airplane mode.

I simply want to use the GPS and then if I'm at a cafe or a place that offers wifi connection, use it then, but don't want to be charged anything from my carrier (tmobile). would APNDroid be what I'm looking for then?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones