• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

use android phone or tablet as photo frame

dikmus

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
I hope someone can tell me if what I need is possible.

I want to use a android phone or tablet as a “photo frame”.
For me this means it should start and loop a certain video all the time.
There are probably a lot of apps that can do that, but I need another thing that photo frames do:

- when the charger is plugged in, I want my device to be switched on, (and then the video should start playing)
- when the charger is unplugged I want my device to be switched off, and do nothing till the charger is plugged in again.

So the software should turn my device into a kind of advertisement player. Nobody should have to touch the screen or push any button. The only thing a user can do, is connect or disconnect the power plug, and see always the same video.

I can't use any existing photo frames because none of them have a screen with resolution and contrast that is good enough. I can find phones or tablets that have the quality required.

Does something like this exists, or can anybody make it for me?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones