1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Use as drive?Support

1. djxdj

djxdj Member

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a Galaxy S3. But can you plug it in over USB and use it as a portable hard drive like you can with the Motorola DROID line? This is a MUST for work. I have a PowerPC-based Mac, so I can not use Kies. Just wondering if anyone has gotten the S3 to mount as a regular USB drive to transfer large files around.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Doesn't work at present (a solution via XDA will no doubt present itself fairly soon though). You could always use a flashdrive and USB OTG cable to do the transfers.
  3. djxdj

djxdj Member

Thanx for the info! :D
  4. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean. When I plug my S3 into my PC via USB it appears in Computer as a drive.
  5. zanza

zanza Well-Known Member

all Androids have this capability for USB Storage as they call it.
  6. Scootmien

Scootmien Well-Known Member Contributor

It works fine on mine.

As long as you enable 'USB debugging' in the Dev Options settings page, you can use the phone as a drive.
  7. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Yes, via MTP, which isn't the same as mass storage and has slower transfer speeds (so not well suited to what the OP says he needs with large file transfers). Apologies to the OP, I should have been clearer about exactly what I meant (I think I thought I had understood what he was asking, but had jumped the gun a bit).
  8. mstover13

mstover13 Member

thanks for this, so much easier switching up music