Use "Blocking Mode" to save battery when you're asleep.Tips

Last Updated: 2013-08-09 05:08:51
  1. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Is Blocking Mode not on Verizon S3's? I can't find it at all.

Advertisement
  2. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Verizon hid the option from the menu.
  3. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Communists!
  4. nytmare

nytmare Well-Known Member

What Doit2it stated above may work on some phones, but it doesn't work on my Verizon S3.
  5. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

I got an airplane mode widget ... same thing I suppose .. When using Blocking Mode don't forget to untick "Alarm" - made that mistake during the first night when I got my S3 .. Thought Blocking mode is = airplane mode but that disables alarms too by default.
  6. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

It won't work with the stock TouchWiz interface. You have to install a new launcher that supports shortcuts. I know Apex Launcher and Nova Launcher support shortcuts. Other launchers such as Go EX and ADW EX probably do, I just haven't used them in a while.
  7. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I just charge my phone when I'm asleep. I simply silence notifications when I am asleep. Volume Widget is pretty useful for setting a sound profile that turns off notification sounds when I go to sleep and turning it back on when I wake up.
  8. lpallard

lpallard Guest

On my sghi747m its not working very well. As a matter of fact its working too well as its blocking calls on a 24/7 basis. Of course I programmed it to be active between 10pm and 6am.

Whenever I am notified that I have a missed call and that the caller left a voicemail, I go to my voicemail and discover that 3 or 4 other people have called and left messages but I never got the missed call or even the phone never ring...

Could be something else but I am sure its the stupid blocking mode as this issue started immediately when I activated the blocking mode....

Has anyone else had problems with it?
  9. cntangcn

cntangcn New Member

I came from blackberry (had used 5 different BB before). When I started android the single most important feature I missed in blackberry is the Auto on / off. Now this blocking function made it, only better (allow you to set exceptions). I understand there are some apps there to do something similar but coming from BB I would have expected this is a built-in feature.

I love this new feature.
  10. gingersnapgirl

gingersnapgirl Well-Known Member Contributor

now if only it could be added as a toggle alongside airplane mode (which I use far less often...)
  11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I've got rid of it. You need root though. You have to decompile settings.apk and change some code.
    nytmare likes this.
  12. SUroot

Blackberry devices are so slow to turn on that the "off" function is actually only a standby function, making auto on / "off" appear to work so well.

My gripe with blackberry is the only true way to keep it off is to remove the battery. My bold, I could (literally) blow on the power button and it would turn on. This was poor given I needed it to be off inside my bag.
  13. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

My gripe with my BB is that it seems to turn on automatically or accidentally. I keep it in my bag and I think that sometimes, the power button gets accidentally pressed as I lay my bag down or pick it up. Once in a while, I find it turned on when it should have been off.
  14. SUroot

Precisely my problem...
  15. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

neat feature if you need it.

my phone is on the charger when i go to bed at night.
  16. nytmare

nytmare Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, would rather not root just yet.
  17. liverpoolfan

liverpoolfan Well-Known Member

I use Ring Scheduler & Auto Ring ( by developer farproc ).

I typically do the following with Ring Scheduler.

Mon-Sun: 11:00pm turn the phone into silent mode.

Mon-Fri: 5:00am turn the phone into normal mode - I get up around 5:30am.
    Sat-Sun: 8:30am turn the phone into normal mode.

Mon-Fri: 9:00am turn the phone into vibrate mode ( am in the office ).
    Mon-Fri: 5:30pm turn the phone into normal mode ( am on the train home at this time ).

I use Auto Ring to automatically ring or sound notification for any contact starred in my phone contact list, regardless of what mode the phone is current in. It will resume the same mode after the call or notification has ended.

Both apps are free.

I use Juice Defender Ultimate to turn my smart phone into a phone and have it wake at certain times for 2 or 5 minutes to allow apps to sync. I also allow certain apps to override the JD settings.
  18. angeldevilnz

angeldevilnz New Member

Hey guys,

Silent night app does pretty much the same thing. It even lets you add exceptions as blocking mode does. Its free at play store ツ

Angel ツ
    liverpoolfan likes this.
  19. boardtc

boardtc Active Member

I've been experimenting JD ultimate but find my S3 slowing down with it enabled. I have a newspaper app which I need to allow downloading at 4am for 10 minutes, How do I allow certain apps to override JD night mode?
  20. gazr

gazr Member

Iveonly just swapped from an iPhone and that had 'do not disturb' feature which is the same as ' blocking mode'. The only problem I have when I've tried this mode is that it also silents your alarm clock but with the iPhone your alarm still went off
  21. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I think its yet another daft feature ill never use.
    Theres a perfectly good silent mode lol.
    And what happens when the block period finishes? Do u get all the notifications at once thus not saving any battery?
  22. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Honestly? Wow samsung software is great eh lol.
    What if u use a 3rd party alarm app mate?
  23. gingersnapgirl

gingersnapgirl Well-Known Member Contributor

You can configure it so that the alarm clock still goes off. I use it every night, and my alarm still works.
  24. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Well-Known Member

Doesnt stop unknown callers calling though.....I have yet to test with allowed contacts and ones that are not but I tested my work phone and unknown callers get through.

What happens to text messages that are blocked? :confused:
  25. KodyBrannon

KodyBrannon Member

In my experience with blocking mode, it just silences the notifications, and LED doesn't flash, but the notifications of emal, texts or social notifications still arrive and just sit there until you look at the phone.