• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use different headphones but retain microphone

MaxiP

Oct 5, 2009
UK
Hi all

I have a 3.5mm headphone socket on my Tattoo which is nice to see. You get provided with a set of headphones with built-in mic so you can make calls without having to take the earphones out.

However, sound quality wise, they are cruddy ! I have a good pair of Sennheiser in-ear phones that give superb sound but when I use them, I lose the functionality to use the phone.

Question is, is there an adapter / cable that has a microphone built in that could accept another pair of earphones to allow you to have decent quality music while retaining call capability ? As far as I can tell, there should be no reason why this can't be done as the mic signal will be passed down a separate wire below where the 'good' earphones are plugged in.

Anyone know of such a cable / extender that would be good to use with HTC Tattoo as it would probably mean my iPod would get left on the shelf ?? I've found many on the web but most are aimed at the iPhone and I'd prefer to get a quality adapter rather than a cheapie from ebay. Obviously, any buttons on the cable need to function as per the original.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones