Use GPS while hiking without 3G or cell signal?Support

Last Updated:

1. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What apps or hacks are available to use the GPS as a standalone navigation tool without having cell signal? I am frequently in the mountains where there is no signal, and would like to use my DI instead of my Garmin.

Advertisement
  2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

using google you cant. it has to download the maps as you go. there are some other programs out there that do store their map data locally for use when you dont have cell service.

Mr. Boom likes this.
  3. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

Take a look at Backcountry Navigator. It has a free trial with a time limit on it so you can try out all the features instead of a subset. You download free topo maps of the area you are going to before leaving and they are stored on your SD card. I like it and think it works really well. I've been using it for geocaching mostly. The developer is really responsive if you have problems, and is adding features all the time.

Mr. Boom likes this.
  4. Jim Chapman

Jim Chapman Well-Known Member

There's also "Topo Maps" (formerly called "Gaia GPS") in Android Market. It lets you dowload topo maps and use them offline. I wasn't impressed by the quality of the maps, but it might serve your purpose.

Mr. Boom likes this.
  5. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to all! I am investigating these apps tonight after work!