Use of Wifi on Droid InternationallySupport

Last Updated:

1. Snorkeld

Snorkeld Member This Topic's Starter

Ok here is the question.

If I have my Droid in Airplane mode and wifi on and traveled to Europe, found a hotspot, will I get international roaming and/or data charges?

I tried Verizon customer service and they were not sure... go figure

Advertisement
  2. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

i dont believe so. but you HAVE to make SURE that airplane mode is on ALL the time. that should turn off your 3G and 1G radios for good.

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Like desi said, turn off your data (3G/1X)

However on wifi you can use email and the internet but that's about it. You wont get SMS or be able to make phone calls unless you use a VOIP program or use Google Voice's web interface for SMS or something.

4. Snorkeld

Snorkeld Member This Topic's Starter

Great thanks, that is what I thought.

5. nverbeek

nverbeek New Member

I am about to embark on a long trip to Europe and have a question along the same lines. What about Google Maps and GPS?

Does anyone know if I'll be able to get the maps themselves, my own location or GPS? I know the Droid can get a fix based on wifi, but GPS would be a nice touch. Is the Droid compatible with European GPS?

I've tested airplane mode with wifi here, and was able to still use all functions on the phone including GPS. Just not sure if all that will still work overseas.

6. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member

I don't see how you could incur any international or roaming charges while traveling in Europe even if you left the radio (3g) on - because the Droid is a CDMA phone and in Europe they use GSM. (If you're on a cruise ship, it's another story altogether because they have their own cell towers for both CDMA and GSM.)

My understanding is that all maps are loaded using the network so without the network, no maps.

7. stizod

stizod Member

may i ask how you got your WiFi to stay on while airplane mode was on? I just got back from Singapore and when i turned on airplane mode, it disabled my WiFi. So i just kept WiFi on and Airplane mode off and now I am praying that I don't get roaming charges.

8. nverbeek

nverbeek New Member

If I remember correctly, I first had WiFi disabled. Then I turned Airplane Mode on, and then turned WiFi on (just checked both boxes in the Wireless & network settings option). This resulted in the Airplane mode icon and the Wifi icon in the notification area. The 3G icon is NOT there.

As far as I can tell, this is the way to disable the cell network and use only Wifi. I can't imagine you would incur any roaming charges this way.

9. stizod

stizod Member

when i do that, it dims the option to check WiFi. i did some more research and found a 3rd party app Airplane Mode WiFi that does circumvent the issue i'm having, but if there is an easier way, i'd be interested in finding out.

10. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member

I think the answer is to first turn off the radio (3G) and then turn on the wifi.

To turn off the cell phone radio (not the wifi ):

At the dialpad (where you make a phone call) type in *#*#4636#*#* . Under phone information, select turn radio off.

Then you should turn on your wifi.

There is an app that will turn off the radio, plus it has other nifty features - called Quick Settings.

11. dbarf

dbarf New Member

I was in the Bahamas a few months ago and I had read that I should keep the Data Roaming option unchecked when I use WiFi (so as to block data roaming and not to incur data roaming charges). Upon returning, I was hit with a $2,500+ data roaming bill from Verizon. Verizon's explanation is that their plans override the Data Roaming function on the Droid, so it doesn't matter if it is checked or not- is that disclosed anywhere? Has anyone else been bitten by this?

12. mattcyborgelt

mattcyborgelt New Member

I am currently in italy from the usa. Before leaving i wanted to make sure i wont get a huge bill even if im in airplane mode. After 2 hours on the phone they said "we dont know". Go figure. My phone has stayed in airplane mode since leaving the US, ive never taken it out of that mode. Wifi works while in airplane mode. GPS however is not working even while connected to wifi.

No foursquare for me :(

I will let you know if i get a big bill (which would make no sense) or if i get the gps to work

13. kkrsf

kkrsf New Member

Any updates on the outcomes.. i.e. bill & roaming charges

14. karimarie

karimarie Well-Known Member

15. karimarie

See the thread I linked to right above this about how to use your GPS overseas. :)

16. bigstock2001

bigstock2001 New Member

I am going to iraq and got a skype mobile account. The skype app on my verizon droid keeps telling me that i can not use skype with wifi on a the droid. Is that true. If so it is kinda pointless for me to use it. I need a program that works with voip via wifi for where i am heading. Is there anything i can do. Please help
    Thanks
    Don

17. karimarie

Yes. You can use the Fring app and add your Skype account to it (install Fring and you should see how to add Skype.) People won't be able to call in, but you'll be able to call out from your Droid over wifi. I'm in Europe right now, and this is what I've done to call home.

Go ahead and install it, put it in airplane mode and connect to wifi, and try it out. Post back here if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them for you. :)