• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use phone until dead VS Charge before starting.

jamor

Android Expert
Apr 13, 2010
Planet Earth
I'm getting a lot of conflicting opinions.

Matchup:

1. This site strongly recommends that you charge your battery before activating it.

2. Other sources have noted that you should start it up and use it until it is mostly drained before charging it.

Does anybody have any scientific evidence to support one theory over the other?

What are the consequences of letting it drain before charging if you side with #1?

From the site:
"Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days."

Interesting read!

Upvote 0
From the site:
"Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days."

Interesting read!

What do you think the implication is regarding whether to drain it or charge it based of this?

Upvote 0
Not necessarily...

From the site again:
"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate."

Upvote 0
From the site:

Interesting read!

The same article also has this to say:
"To prevent failure, never store the battery fully discharged. Apply some charge before storage, and then charge fully before use."

That would seem to apply to a new battery as well. Likely, the manufacturer charged it to some minimal capacity before packaging. You could consider the time between then and the receipt of your incredible as storage. It may not be absolutely required. But I plan to charge it for about 5 hours before any use.

Upvote 0
Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem.

Am I reading this right? So we can use them right away but should fully discharge and fully recharge every once in a while?

Upvote 0
As others have said, lithium ion batteries don't need to be run through cycles to make them have full efficiency as stated elsewhere on this forum.
It is helpful to fully charge it then let it fully drain so that the phone can calibrate how much power the battery has.
Lithium ion batteries degrade fastest if fully charged and at high temperatures. If a lithium battery discharges too much it may no longer be functional.
Therefore, batteries are shipped with a partial charge. Lithium ion batteries do not typically leak over time, ie they do not lose charge over time when not used.

Bottom line: Its not a huge deal either way. Ideally charge it up, let it drain fully to let the phone calibrate.

Reactions: jcarless
Upvote 0
Check out the Battery Left app in the market.
The app comes with a widget and you can display combinations of the following data:
Time left
Time dead
Accuracy
Estimated %
System %
Full Battery life

I prefer this widget over the built-in indicator.
There is a 1x1 and a 2x1 widget.
Other data available include Usage & History

You can customize the widget to change to different colors at personalized levels.

The best part . . . . . there is a Recalibrate option in the settings (instructions include a full charge/discharge cycle)

Reactions: Agronis
Upvote 0
I don't understand why companies don't fully charge their lithium batteries..

Maybe they add up the electric bill and figure they only should do half way to cut costs.

Hmm..

Or if you read the link.
If possible, store the battery in a cool place at about a 40% state-of-charge.

It prolongs the life of the battery to give it to us with a small charge.

Upvote 0

Storage of a fully charged battery can lead to failure and in some extreme circumstances potentially fire. Battery power will also "leak" so even fully charged will over time be lower. this leakage is usually minimal 1-2% over a couple months, but increasing over time.

Not that many people seem to like apple but there is a good write up on how LiIon batteries work on the iPod support site.

I have left batteries fully charged in storage state (non-use) and they won't hold as much charge anymore... this may depend on battery though as my old LG (left idle 2 years) was left charged and tried it a few weeks back with it holding a very good charge still.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
Assuming I plugged in the phone as soon as I got it, and played with it plugged in until it is fully charged, isn't this the same as just letting it fully charge unused? I realize it would take longer to charge, but it would still top out before getting unplugged either way.

Great questions. Where are our science gurus.

Upvote 0

Maybe they add up the electric bill and figure they only should do half way to cut costs.

Hmm..
From the article, Lithium Ion batteries stored with a partial charge (40%) have a longer lifespan in long term storage conditions than fully charged batteries(i.e. 96% original battery capacity after 1 year vs 80%), which is what the batteries are just coming out of when you put the battery in your device. They could charge it for you before they ship it, but then they end up with a bunch of units with degraded batteries because they sat around for too long. So, they actually do it to protect the consumer instead of just being cheap. Weird huh?

Edit: Didn't realize I had the page open for so long before replying, it appears several people have already answered you. Oh well.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
I think everyone is reading way too much into this. Just use the freaking phone, if you REALLY think this makes a difference you might need to see a therapist. I use the crap outta my BB and the battery lasts for a full day no problem, and I certainly didn't try to figure out how to 'prolong the life' of the battery.

Upvote 0
I think everyone is reading way too much into this. Just use the freaking phone, if you REALLY think this makes a difference you might need to see a therapist. I use the crap outta my BB and the battery lasts for a full day no problem, and I certainly didn't try to figure out how to 'prolong the life' of the battery.
This.

You'll have more variation from battery to battery than you'll ever get from some obsessive power on/charge sequence.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones