• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Use proximity sensor to disable screen while in pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)
That's what I've been telling you about before.
1st: it's not buggy :). Why? Because your screen doesn't get unlocked. It just turns on if there's nothing in proximity. You can still lock/unlock your screen. I mentioned earlier that locking the screen and turning it off (idle) are two separate things. When you press the on/off button while the screen is unlocked and on, these two happen at the same time resulting the device go idle (screen locked and off). When pressing again, the screen turns on but the device doesn't get unlocked.
So there should be no problem with this. While still in proximity the screen won't ever turn on.
2nd: it doesn't bother me, I don't see why it would bother anyone else :). And before you get angry by reading this line, you shouldn't be. Why? Because even if I would want to change this, I couldn't. The screen flippings are made by the system, I just turn the feature on and off.

I still think it's even a good thing that the screen turns on when I take the phone out of my pocket. I don't have to press the on button to unlock it, etc. When putting it back, I don't need to press it to turn the screen off because it turns itself off when sensing something near. Why would it be a bug then? :)

Upvote 0
@copas2 I never said anything about locking/unlocking. Idk if its locking or not since we just want the screen off

Also the other thing is a bug not a feature ^^

All I can suggest is to complain about these at Google and/or HTC. The latter doesn't concern you.

For me it looks fine now. This little app just isn't made for the masses. Feel free to work around the code, or hire someone if you need to. :eek:
I shared this to help others who have the Desire (I don't know anything about the Nexus One) to work around this specific problem. Now I don't have more or less of the issues I had before. Which means I'm almost done. :eek:

I don't really see why the functionality of this tool bothers you.
1. Screen gets switched off by you or the screen timeout.
2. When something's near, the screen stays off.
3. When that something's gets far enough, the screen turns on. (I think this is what disturbes you in particular but this isn't done by this tool. It's done by Android...)
4. You are still able to manually switch the screen off (again) or wait for the timeout to let it happen automatically. And correct, it stays off but when something comes near and gets far again, the screen turns back on. Who cares? See number 2 again. Sorry but from my point of view it's far not as disturbing (if it is at all) as the original mechanism.

If I ever designed a touch-screen device I would've never done it without a proper working proximity sensing and corresponding functionality. Unfortunately there are a lot of gadgets out there without a physical sensor. I think (hope) this is why it's still in the egg. I don't get it but I've already complained about it in one of the early posts here. Maybe future touch-screens will combine touches with presses, I don't know.

So, sorry if I can't solve all the issues but it's not my job to do that. I've heard about someone who knows someone who has been told that the iPhone wouldn't have these kinda problems, so... ;) But to be serious I would have never imaged a device like the Desire or the Nexus to be so fundamentally incomplete.

Upvote 0
If my phone rings in my pocket, I can take it out and answer it properly, without it either rejecting the call, answering it IN my pocket, or answering and hanging up as I fumble around getting the phone out of my pocket.
RRRIGHT. This is one of the goals. Does any of the Google or HTC employees really USE these devices as PHONES?? :thinking:
I would definitely love to share this comment-wall to these people. Any idea how to seriously reach them?

Upvote 0
I experienced my first phone-call-in-the-pocket debacle the other day, so installed the Proximity Tool today, the ProximityTool.apk version, and so far it hasn't exhibited any of the behaviours others have described. I haven't tested it with headphones or with the phone in my pocket yet.

I assume you need to launch the app again after the phone has been rebooted?

Upvote 0
Testing different scenarios:
1) If I push the power button and then put my finger on the proximity sensor: the screen stays on, but does not accept input.
2) If I put my finger on the proximity sensor first and then push the power button: the screen comes on and accepts input.

1) is OK
2) is not OK since this is the normal use case for when the phone is in my pocket

If it matters: I have an unlock pattern installed.

Upvote 0
1) If I push the power button and then put my finger on the proximity sensor: the screen stays on, but does not accept input.
1) is OK
This is only OK if sensing isn't active. While sensing is active the screen should shut off.
2) If I put my finger on the proximity sensor first and then push the power button: the screen comes on and accepts input.
2) is not OK since this is the normal use case for when the phone is in my pocket
Read the posts. Proximity sensing is only active if certain conditions are met.

Upvote 0
Read the posts. Proximity sensing is only active if certain conditions are met.

You know... I really tried to figure out the "functional user requirements" from the previous posts. The clearest description I could find is your message here. But then I notice that sometimes your program does things when the conditions described there are not met: I do not use a headphone, when I did not get a call, ... but do get little popup messages saying things about sense being enabled or disable (not the exact wording) and the screen blanks when I put my finger over the proximity sensor. Or sometimes it doesn't blank, but locks the screen. See... I am confused :D

My user requirements are pretty simple.
- If something is near the screen and the phone is idle, lock the screen.
- If something is near the screen and the phone got out of idle by a phone call, alarm or alike event (to be listed), then lock the screen.

I am very thankful you want to share this utility, so please do not take this as criticism! This could be a must-have utility, but for me right now it is not yet that.

Upvote 0
great app and does what it set out to do.
i'm with the others i'd just like it to sense only when i have put the phone to sleep (definition?pressing the power button to turn screen off) then put in pocket.
the problem with sense with screen unlocked is when you have a notification your finger goes by the sensor to drag down the notification!
or am i doing something completely daft
:eek:

Upvote 0
Wow, I have been trying to make use of this app today, and as soon as I connected my bluetooth to my N1 it was like magic. It works so fast when I put my hand over the prox sensor and remove it.

I would love to have the version that is just on all the time because my phone is always in my pocket, but not always connected to BT. I noticed the "general" version is no longer available? Can this option be reintegrated???

Thanks so much,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones