Use Samsung Galaxy to use internet on laptop

Last Updated:

1. oldrover1938

oldrover1938 Member

Hi anyone know if my phone can act as a modem to let me use the internet on my laptop. Is there any software to download.:confused:

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

It is called tethering, sharing the phone's data with another device, like a laptop. The best way to find out what will work is to check out the Samsung Galaxy section that is specific to which Galaxy you have. Which galaxy do you have? I can point you in the right direction.
  3. oldrover1938

oldrover1938 Member

Hi its a Galaxy S Gt-1900
  4. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

I recommend checking out the Samsung Galaxy S - Android Forums section. But to answer your question, 1st try Barnacle Wifi Tether (note it does require root), since your phone's kernel should be setup for that. Or if the wifi option does not work or you do not want to root your phone, PDA Net always works great, you just have to have your phone plugged into the usb port on the computer. Plus since it is not over wifi, it is a lot more secure.
  5. ivanbayross

ivanbayross New Member

Accessing the 3G ( or any other type of ) Internet connection on the Galaxy Note via your laptop.

Here is how simple it is:

Assuming that your laptop runs either Vista or Windows 7. ( XP needs configuration ).

Download KIES on the laptop and install it.

This will ensure that the correct USB drivers for the Galaxy note are installed on your laptop.

Please use an original Samsung USB cable to connect the Galaxy Note to the laptop.
    ( Using a Nokia or any other brand of USB cable gave me endless problems. I then bought an original Samsung USB cable and all worked sweetly ).

Once done go to:

Settings -> Wireless and networks - More...

( Under More....) -> Tethering and portable hotspot

Check the - Portable WiFi Hotspot On

You are good to go.

You can now access the Internet on the laptop, via the Galaxy note.

NOTE: On Vista / Win7 You will a System message indicating that a link up has occurred. Just select this and say OK.

You're Done.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

You don;t have to install Kies for hotspot to work. Just to settings and turn it on.