• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use SD card as internal memory?

D

Deleted User

I'm certain someone else has tried or wanted to try this, so I'm asking.

I love my Samsung Prevail, but only 170MB of internal memory is a joke, especially if I update stock apps like Maps and Market. What I'd love to do is install Android OS directly to my MicroSD card. I've been looking into it here and on other forums, but most of what i've found is old stuff to install to Windows Mobile devices. Anything to just have a second install on the MicroSD, leaving the old one on internal memory just in case something happens? I have a 16GB card right now, but I'll be getting a 32GB if I can find a way to install to the card. My phone is rooted, I can use Linux for the sake of partitioning if needed, and while I'd love to have Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich, I'm not certain if it'll run well, especially depending on the class of card I get.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones