Use the Sprint Tab with other carrier?

Last Updated: 2011-09-16 21:28:55
  1. nolegirl

nolegirl Member

Is it possible to use this Sprint Galaxy Tab with another carrier's data plan? Sprint only offers a 2 year agreement when it comes to their 3G/wireless plan. Is it possible that I can use the tablet with T-Mobile or Verizon since they offer month to month wireless plans?
    If you're wondering why I didn't just get that version in the first place, its because the store I got the tablet from only had Sprint available (I think I see why now). I like the Tab, but don't want a contract.

Advertisement
  2. binaryhellstorm

binaryhellstorm Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there isn't a way to use a Sprint tablet on another carrier directly. If it were a GSM Tab like the AT&T or T-mobile you could unlock the device and then put a different carriers SIM card in and use it. But since Sprint isn't GSM that's not an option.
    The only thing you could try is getting a 3G hotspot device like the MiFi from Verizon and then use that with the Wifi on the Tab.
    nolegirl likes this.
  3. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

Not totally accurate.

You can have the device flashed to work on cricket wireless. Cost is 80-100 unless you can do it yourself.

Not sure what speeds or coverage you get but it is an option.
  4. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

Another option is to see if anyone you know has a sprint account with an old number they deactivated in the recent past. I was told that you can reactivate the line on a month to month with sprint.
  5. chicano

chicano Well-Known Member

Just like most sprint and verizon smartphones can be flashed to Cricket, they can also be flashed to metro pcs. But speeds aren't 4g. You can also tether. I am sure, soon as tablets pick up, more people will start flashing carrier tablets.
  6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I took my Tab into a Cricket store and they told me they could NOT flash it to work on their network. Took it to a Boost mobile store as well and they told me the same thing.
  7. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

I trade my T-mobile Tab yesterday for a Sprint Tab so I could flash it to Boost....went well and I pay $11 a month for unlimited data...can't beat that!
  8. kool kat2

kool kat2 Well-Known Member

What's the data like? Good enough for youtube or not really?
  9. alnova1

Yes..Same as Sprints. Its not as fast as T-Mobiles 3G but for $30 a month less I will put up with a little slower 3g.
    kool kat2 likes this.
  10. L8AGIN

L8AGIN Well-Known Member

Did you flash it yourself? What was required?
  11. alnova1

Flashed it myself. Google it and you will find it...wasn't hard to find at all. Basically like flashing an Epic or a NS4G.