1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Use the Zte Warp wifi, just like as a usb wifi stick (no 3g network at all)

1. alpha2k

alpha2k Well-Known Member

Not sure this belongs here or in the root section, so I apologize ahead of time if it's in the wrong section.

First I will say I am rooted.

That being said. what I want do is use my Zte Warp to surf the web on my pc at home. We have a Netgear G wireless router and a dsl line already.
    I won't want use my 3g network, but I do want to use the dsl wireless in the household instead.
    In short I want to use my phone just as a usb wifi stick is used, plugging it in thru a usb cable to the pc.

Can this be done, if so how?

I have tried numerous wifi apps, even those that are for root, and I can't get any of them to work.

I use pda net, but it uses the 3g network.

Advertisement
  2. alpha2k

Well interesting find.

I'm using pdanet, and while it doesn't "show" as useing wifi connection it seems as if it's using the WiFi connection via it's normal setup.

That brings me to some questions for you network savvy people out there.
    1: Useing wifi on a phone, negates and/or stops useing the 3g network, correct? That's to my understanding anyways, but I could be wrong and would like to clarify for my own knowledge.
    Can you have both 3g AND wifi at the same time?

2: I have done test on speedtest.net and have found the ping times to be lower in WiFi, as apposed to 3g, while the up and down times are very similar in both 3g and WiFi. Does the lower ping time mean it is turuly useing the wifi and not the 3g?

3: I checked my ip online and the ip is different in both wifi and 3g mode, so can the 3g change ip address?

4: Lastly, The reason I am asking this stuff is because my usb wifi stick went out today, so my concern is, if the usb wifi stick went bad, what's that mean if I use my phone as a WiFi stick, can it go bad as well?, because that would defiantly not be a good thing.

If pdanet is truly using the WiFi, this is good news indeed.
  3. shunter7

shunter7 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the phone when set to WIFI will only use WIFI. 3G is disabled at that point. Also the Warp contains a WIFI "antenna" for lack of a better word that grabs WIFI signals. You would need a router to be pushing those signals out but as long as you have that you should be good.
  4. alpha2k

Yeah we have a Linksys wireless G router and DSL.
    The prevail all I needed was a wifi tether app which worked via a USB cable, just had to hook the phone up, turn on wifi on the phone, and start the wifi tether app and it acted just like a USB wifi stick.
    With this Zte Warp none of the apps work at all, and I've tries alot of them.
    Not sure why, they just don't.
    That's why I was asking about this because I have yet to find a way to do this, but it would seem that pdanet does work as wifi or 3g in normal pdanet mode. No need to switch from wifi to normal via pdanet. Just hook up the USB cable, start wifi, start pdanet on the phone, then connect in the pc side and it works. I can then switch to wifi or 3g on the phone side and either way it works fine useing either wifi or 3g.
  5. dylanp

dylanp Well-Known Member

I am not sure this is what you are looking for but I am rooted and use wireless tether by muller lemons and bueller free from the market and it works really well I tether all the time especially when I'm out of town and never had a problem try it out
  6. tookah

tookah Well-Known Member

You are confusing...
    But if you still have problems

-First make sure you install the drivers from the phone

-enable usb debugging
  7. TheTenthLetter

TheTenthLetter Active Member

When you use WiFi tethering, 3G is still enabled. This will make your phone's battery heat up substantially. Wireless Tether (the program) has a handy feature that keeps track of your phone's temp... I usually stop mine for awhile if that temp exceeds 104 F, just to be safe. Good luck.

p.s. I saw you mentioned your phone is rooted but you weren't having any luck. My "Wireless Tether" used to work and then stopped; uninstalling, reboot and reinstalling seemed to fix it.