use verizon inc as gps in europe?General

Last Updated:

1. jsjames

jsjames Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'll be going to Belgium and Germany next week and wondered if there is any way to use my gps in my Verizon inc while there. Does the gps work even if I am on a different cell network?

Advertisement
  2. TangledThorns

TangledThorns Well-Known Member

I'm gonna piggy back your thread and ask about the wi-fi as well. Will the wi-fi work abroad as well? I plan on taking it with me to New Zealand next year and hope to use the Inc for internet and PMP uses.

3. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

The GPS will work anywhere on the planet that doesn't have a very obstructed view of the sky, as it's all done with satellites. No data connection required.

Make sure you download an offline map application so you can have maps without an expensive data connection.

I reccomend Maps (-) - Android app on AppBrain or OsmAnd - Android app on AppBrain

And yes, WiFi will work too. WiFi is a worldwide standard. :p

4. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Yup, the thing to remember is that GPS does not equal navigation. GPS just gets your location. It's up to the navigation program (Google Maps for example) to actually do anything with it. No data connection (or even phone signal for that matter) required for GPS, but you do need a data connection for Google Maps, unless you have a program that stores the maps on your SD card.

Btw, nice find, crazydog. I've been looking for an offline map nav program ever since I got my Inc. I really miss my Garmin Mobile XT prog from my Touch Pro... I had navigation where I didn't even have phone service. Which of the two you recommended do you like better?

5. SFBayArea

SFBayArea Well-Known Member

I have the same question, I am going to Europe in November and was wondering about the same thing. As some people said here the GPS will work, however, your google maps will use data plan and it will cost you a lot, hence, you need to use some other navigation software besides google.

6. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

And please please please ensure that whatever navigation software/app you use for this supports maps from the EU!

Most mobile or handheld GPS units typically only support maps for the region in which you purchased the unit. So again, when in the Market do a little reading to ensure you get European compatibility.

7. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

actually no it wont cost you anything cause you wont be using data connection, the phone is NOT a world phone. There is no GSM chip in it so it wil not connect to most all networks over there.

8. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

Well, it's a pretty simple choice. Maps(-) gives you simple google-esque maps, while OsmAnd gives you access to the OpenStreetMap library, which are extremely detailed maps, so they might take up more space than the Maps(-) maps.

Another alternative that I remembered I have installed is MapDroyd - Android app on AppBrain. It also uses OSM, but does not have navigation, so OsmAnd would be your choice if you want navigation.

Personally, I have all three installed. The sizes of the maps isn't such a problem with these giant storage cards we have.
    The ENTIRE library of OSM maps that MapDroyd will download is only 3027MB, which is nothing compared to a 32GB microSD card, so it wouldn't hurt to have a few of the same maps on each app, just so you have a choice.

OSMAnd also lets you choose from a bunch of different map tile sources (OSM, Google, Microsoft) when you're online, so it might be the best choice if you only want one app.

Note that the downloadable maps for offline use will always be OSM maps.

jayDInc likes this.
  9. lkview

lkview New Member

I am now just outside of Geneva in France, with my Verizon Galaxy Tab, and the GPS is not working at all. It has been working wonderfully back home in Washington state for the past two weeks, so I know the phone is functional. I turned off mobile networks, because I don't want to pay for data connections over here (I guess they don't work anyway, but don't want to take chances on getting gouged by Verizon), but am using wifi no problem. So why doesn't GPS work?! Google maps caches everything -- which is incredibly cool because then maps work perfectly even away from wifi. So if only I could get the GPS to work I'd be thrilled!

10. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member

Are you using Google Maps or one of the apps recommend above (such as OsmAnd). I'll be in Europe next month and was counting on the GPS + Map program (no cell service). You're my crash test dummie!

Google Maps won't work -- well, you won't be able to get any map data as that is delivered via the cell network. In theory some of the other apps, which have their own locally stored maps, should work.