Use Your Android Phone to

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

How cool would it be to jailbreak an iPhone using an Android phone? Alright, I’m already getting off topic, but you can jailbreak your PlayStation 3 using an Android phone. This method follows the news that one hacker was able to find a way to jailbreak (or – with more contextual relevance – mod) your [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Well-Known Member

Finally a an almost how-to video with someone using a tripod.. now that is professional

3. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

it wouldnt be "jailbreak" your ps3, it would be "root" just like the android phone. cool article. but what benefits would i get from rooting my ps3. ATM there isnt any software i would want to run that sony doesnt let me run.
    ( well not that i know of anyway...)

if we have root then can i use backup discs to play games instead of having to use my original copies?
    if i can do that then i will be eagerly waiting for HTC incredible support.

4. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

you get to run unsigned programs, the main one being right now the backup manager , apparently there is a new 1.1 version coming that enables ps2 support on any system. :D

5. jasperwill

ooooo, that sounds like s-off for the incredible.
    im going to have to look into that. cant afford to lose my online play though... maybe i should attempt to revive my RLOD ps3 to play with...

6. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

It would be useful for more backwards compatibility for PS2 games and using Other OS again.

The older PS3 played more PS2 games than the newer ones.

7. 318vert

318vert Member

Sony has just issued an update which blocks the PSJailbreak and PSGroove applications

8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Nooooooo....And knowing how they do updates, if u dont update u wont be able to log in to PSN...

9. jasperwill

you didnt think sony put out software updates to improve user experience did you?
    its all about the money.

sony loses money selling each console they make the money back and then some by selling accessories like controllers and games. (yes, games are an accessory to a console in my mind.)
    if they allowed people to crack the console and play games that sony was not paid for they would go out of buisness.
    if you can crack the ps3 and run unsigned applications then you can backup games that you rent from blockbuster or gamefly and then just make a semi-free collection of games that sony never gets any profit from.

10. mpg187

mpg187 Well-Known Member

So this can be blocked by an update :(

What's the evil number of the update to avoid?

11. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

12. mpg187

mpg187 Well-Known Member

I hope Sony loses that case.

Back on topic: You need a rooted phone for this? I can't root, but when I had my HTC Touch Diamond dualbooting Android that was rooted since Android just ran off the 4GB Memory, I wonder if it could work with that?

Or what would've been a really good mod was using a modded PSP to do it since more PS3 owners would own that than an Android phone, although I own both...

13. Stinky Stinky

Hahhaa cool dude @mpg187....!

WHATS THIS!?
    Shame dude... i am sorry....I see you lost ur HTC Diamond... damn sorry buddy...
    Have you tried the Gold Card Method....hmm wait a sec....i don'tthink it has sd slot damn.... never mind me...

Ja I hope this sudo privaleges gives devs an oppertuinity to create an SDK....THAT WOULD BE FREAKIN AWESOME.....wow indie devs with cell

14. mpg187

mpg187 Well-Known Member

Would a sudo feature let more apps be run on unrooted phones? Perhaps even this one?

15. Stinky Stinky

sudo means "Super User DO" it is needed in Debain based linux systems for root access...Like Ubuntu good example
    Hmm i am PATHETIC when it comes to kernel development i don't know jack about kernel development, hahaha lol :) anywayz....

Ja that what very important to get hold of PS3....wow all that power for devs...nice

Yes it is important i guess but i am not into kernel development anyway....:(
    I have NO CLUE hahaha how ps3 works sorry dude :)

16. mpg187

mpg187 Well-Known Member

I know what sudo is, I use Ubuntu...

17. Stinky Stinky

Woopsy sorry!!

Didn't read ur post properly dude sorry apologies. I meant no harm.
    And to answer ur question I have not a single clue dude.....sorry :)

Regards

Stinky Stinky

18. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

The PS3 update is already live, I had to update it to get access to my account :(

Ah well, I prefer to have a fully functioning PS/Blu ray player at the moment!

I dont get the argument about this being about money.....Sony dont make any money from trade-ins which have a much higher impact on game sales than any game exploit device would have........To me its no different to the exploder cart for the PS1 or the chips for the PS2. Surely its simply about control, Sony dont like anyone messing with their tech.

Sony still made billions out of the PS1 and PS2 when there were loads of ways to exploit the system to play copied games :rolleyes:

My tuppence worth.....

19. mpg187

mpg187 Well-Known Member

They definitely aren't making any money off me. I am boycotting the PS3 until you can run backups on it...