Used 243MB data in 8 hours - but how!?

Last Updated:

1. Andy L

Andy L Guest This Topic's Starter

Yesterday, I installed Dolphin Browser HD and used TVcatchup.com on it for a bit. Today, I took my Desire into work as normal and did the odd bit of brief Facebook/Twitter browsing on Dolphin but nothing else.

However, the data usage on my phone kept going up and up throughout the day and my phone's battery was used up within 8 hours even though it was in my pocket for most of the day and I'd locked it on the home screen. When I checked my data usage using 3G Watchdog, it said I'd used 243 MB data (half my monthly data allowance)! How is that possible!?

SystemPanel hasn't shown anything in the 'Net Receive' or 'Net Transmit' bars either, nor can I see any rogue applications in it. I have Spotify and Last.fm installed (with widgets) but I've used neither of them to play any music today. The only thing I can possibly think of is that Dolphin Browser has failed to close the TVcatchup video properly and somehow left it playing in a separate tab (even though I can only see one) - looking at the 3G Watchdog widget, my data usage seemed to shoot up only when Dolphin was open so I've uninstalled it as a precaution (even though I like the app a lot).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could've caused this!?

Advertisement
  2. dave_024

dave_024 Member

I had the same problem with my desire when i first got it but i used twice that amount and i had to get orange to up my data plan try installing advanced task killer and running that everytime you finish using an app to make sure that the programs are actually closed and not running in the background also go into settings > accounts & sync and change the settings to stop it automatically downloading the data for certain things or change download frequencys since i done all this i hardly use any data hope this helps
    Dave

3. dave_024

dave_024 Member

I had the same problem with my desire when i first got it but i used twice that amount and i had to get orange to up my data plan try installing advanced task killer and running that everytime you finish using an app to make sure that the programs are actually closed and not running in the background also go into settings > accounts & sync and change the settings to stop it automatically downloading the data for certain things or change download frequencys since i done all this i hardly use any data hope this helps
    Dave

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If you used TV catchup, then perhaps that is it?

Someone claimed a 60 minute program was circa 200mb in the TVcatchup thread.

5. Tino

Tino Well-Known Member

Did you use the back key to close the browser? If you pressed home it would of been left multitasking in the background.

gr8lats likes this.
  6. Andy L

Thanks for the replies guys. I opened a tab to watch TVCatchup on Tuesday but closed it down once I'd finished and used the Dolphin browser several times for Facebook Touch/general web browsing yesterday without opening TVCatchup again.

I always use Exit to close the browser down without leaving it running in the background but maybe Dolphin somehow hasn't closed the site (and that tab) down properly even though it says it has? It's unlikely but it's the only thing I can possibly think of that could use so much data and battery power...

7. charliehowes

charliehowes Well-Known Member

Silly question but how do people use exit to close down the browser ??
    I can either click home or go back and if I've been browsing and typing stuff for half an hour the last thing I wanna do is back up through countless pages.

8. adam1985

adam1985 Well-Known Member

If you hold down the back button in Dolphin HD then a popup shows and you can click exit it also gives the options to clear the cache and history on exit

charliehowes likes this.
  9. glow worm

glow worm Well-Known Member

maybe if you keep watching youtube videos for example? but u didnt right?

10. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

What exactly did you watch on tvcatchup/ how long for?

I have been emailing yamgo (same kind of service) about issues I was having and they advised programs can be streamed at up to 250kb/s - Thats 15mb a minute over mobile data!

11. charliehowes

charliehowes Well-Known Member

I haven't got Dolphin mate but I think I might have to try it.
    Cheers :)

12. Andy L

Glow worm - nope, I haven't used YouTube on the phone in weeks!

jred - I tried watching the footy on BBC1 in the afternoon on the bus home but couldn't get a reliable connection so gave up after about 5 mins. I then went home to test it briefly on wi-fi for a minute or so then closed it - or so I thought...