• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Used phone for Virgin or possibly Boost

Hey everybody, here we go with another "which phone" question. Heres my story & requirements. I currently have Cricket w/a new Zte x500 Score. I am right at the edge of Crickets service, so I basically have no service most of the time. The end of next week I am switching to Virgin or possibly Boost &going to get a different phone (but due to finances, a used one). I would like some opinions on what phone I should keep an eye out for.
Phone doesnt have to be Virgin or Boost because I dont mind flashing it. I have a Zte Score & a Sprint Intercept, but I dont think I popular opinion would be to bother flashing &using either of them(plus they have so little internal). Heres what i want.
REQUIREMENTS: Used has to be UNDER $100; Must have internal memory(1gig is fine); Flash-capable(tired of not able to use/watch several things do to my Score not able to have flash); able to Tether(which i think all android can)
PREFERANCES: like real qwerty, but as long as screen is sensible size not required; Wi-fi Hotspot; Decent battery.

Any suggestions???

I don't have a suggestion for a phone, but the carrier.

Cricket, Boost, and Virgin mobile are all Sprint-owned. If you have bad service with one, you'll likely have bad service with all. Some people have said that they get better service with a Sprint PRL, but that's a grey area if it actually works or if it's legit or not. Check your device sub-forum for info.

http://androidforums.com/zte-score/

Upvote 0
I don't have a suggestion for a phone, but the carrier.

Cricket, Boost, and Virgin mobile are all Sprint-owned. If you have bad service with one, you'll likely have bad service with all. Some people have said that they get better service with a Sprint PRL, but that's a grey area if it actually works or if it's legit or not. Check your device sub-forum for info.

ZTE Score - Android Forums
Cricket isn't owned by Sprint. Cricket is Leap Wireless.

Upvote 0
True enough, but Cricket uses Sprint's towers, so it's unlikely that coverage would change by switching from Cricket to Virgin or Boost.

Exactly. I would do a little research. Whoever you end up thinking you want to go with, go to their web site and they should have a coverage map you can look at. Just punch in your address and you should be able to gauge what kind of service you'll receive.

Upvote 0
My brother has boost &my sisternlaw has virgin and they live next door, so I know I'll have better service I'm just tryna figure out which phones I might look for. I could go w/the intercept I was given, but I have heard ALOT of complaints about them and I don't think its uses adobe flash either. I have an opportunity to get a Prevail. I don't think they have much internal memory, but I think there may be a way to help that (possibly an rom upgrade). I just wondering if opinions are if its what i should go with or what other good choices I should consider.
Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones