used this app and now my screen is black...Support

Last Updated:

1. vecchioni27

vecchioni27 Member This Topic's Starter

I opened this app (battery booster, can't post link because I am new) after downloading it excited to hoping it was better then a previous one I was trying that seemed to do next to nothing.

I saw the brightness button and hit it. It showed 11%. I was like oh I thought I had this all the way down...so I use the scroller to take it all the way down assuming 0% meant that it was the lowest it could possible dim the screen...well it sure is a battery saver considering I can't even see my screen as its completely BLACK...............................

1. Why would you even allow something like this in a app.
    2. Please help me fix it...

I have tried for about an hour to assume where the scroll down, and mounting the phone to my computer so that I could possibly uninstall it via computer with no luck...

Advertisement
  2. vecchioni27

anyone?

3. X10iUser

X10iUser Well-Known Member

Hi.

You might need to just reflash, which would have been quicker than spending an hour with no success. Might not be what you want to hear, but it may just be your only option.

4. vecchioni27

you mean basically make it a new phone?

If so how?

Really wouldn't mind as long as it fixes it, still new to the phone and was actually just about to root it tonight but then this happened while messing around at work...

5. X10iUser

Yep, and not sure has you've not said what phone you own.

6. vecchioni27

oh, oops...I thought this was the thread I posted in my phone specific section.

I have the Samsung Fascinate through verizon...the i500

7. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Moved to Fascinate forum.

8. X10iUser

Maybe someone here can assist you.

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Have you pulled out the battery already?
    Upon re boot its still a pure black screen?

10. vecchioni27

yes ive done a hard restart and when plugged in you can see the green battery charging when the phone is off and you see all the normal stuff while booting up including samsungs bootup and verizons but once it goes into the OS...its pure black...and it almost seems like none of the buttons wanna work either...but they do light up if you mess with it enough

11. vecchioni27

actually just got into the system recovery and did a data wipe...still black screen on bootup

12. vecchioni27

a little update...just plugged it in and the screen actually flashed at me...but was just for a split second i guess when it got the juice from the charger

13. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

My guess is that you're going to have to do a factory reset to get the phone back to it's default settings.

14. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

I had this happen with the Extended Controls widget. It has happened to others with different apps that toggle brightness, it's something with the screen on this phone. Only the stock brightness widget works correctly.

Easiest solution - Verizon exchanged it for me and others with no questions.

The 2nd time it happened (I'm not too bright :)), I just messed with it, plugging it in and out, calling it etc.. and for whatever reason after a couple of hours it finally turned on for long enough for me to click market and uninstall the app. Totally random, there is no method to it, but the phone is definitely alive under there. My screen would actually turn on when someone called, but I couldn't press the buttons. So this doesn't really help you, I just didn't want to go back to Verizon again. I'd suggest the first option.

EDIT: maybe we could get a sticky? or create one with the title "DON'T USE APPS TO ALTER BRIGHTNESS!" to get attention. I've read this same story at least a dozen times now.

sighlon likes this.
  15. iamnotafanofgravel

iamnotafanofgravel New Member

I did this twice as well. The phone is so bright even with the brightness turned all the way down. I was also trying to save some battery. This is why I am on my third phone. The call quality of the second one was the best. Too bad i broke the phone. I never tried to flash it. I was too scared.

16. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me, fortunately I'd made a nandroid backup about an hour before. Freaked me out, I thought I'd broken my phone. Fortunately, I was able to boot into recovery and restore the backup.