1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Useful tool for backing up phone's SD card...

Last Updated:

1. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was looking for a Windows based tool that can make a complete backup image of my SD card (just didn't want to lose 13gb worth of photos and music). I tried the native Windows backup program, Ghost, and just about every other backup solution with no luck. I did run into a free program called "USB Image Tool" and it does just what I need. Once you mount your SD card on your phone, this little program will allow you to create an IMG image and also has restore functions. It is located at:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/USB-Image-Tool.shtml

Hope some of you find this useful...

Advertisement
  2. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

What's the difference between what you're doing and simply using Windows Explorer to copy the SD card to a folder on your hard drive?

3. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

Not answering for him completely but it sounds to me like this creates 1 image file of your backup, possibly compressing it as well?

Seems like this would also be useful if you have more music or movies than your card can handle and want to have different images for different types of media you'd like to put on the SD card.

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I like the program because the image file preserves all the files original states (don't know if Android uses hidden or read only files on the sd card) and it is a simple 1 step solution for backing up and restoring. I also find this program useful for backing my thumb drives. Just a personal preference.