User dictionarySupport

Last Updated:

1. lininjim

lininjim Member

I am struggling to edit my user dictionary, struggling as in can't find it. Many threads point me towards "Settings - Language and keyboard" but that is where I fall down. I don't have that, I have "Language and input".
    Going in to that I have
    Google Voice Typing
    Samsung keyboard
    Swift Key

I have added Swift Key as an alternative just now as the standard keyboard insists that my name is Lyon, not Lyn, by default, and it is driving me potty.

Is this lack of user dictionary peculiar to ICS, Samsung or Three? Or am I just being blind? There are no options within those keyboard settings that I can see to allow me access.

Advertisement
  2. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Settings, language and input, Samsung keyboard settings, predictive text (click on the actual list item, not the toggle button), my word list.

Hope this helps :)
    AeroSign and lininjim like this.
  3. lininjim

lininjim Member

Ooh, thank you. I just went there and expected it to be full of words but it was empty, so I added me. I also added me as a shortcut, so if it ever wants to put Lyon in it will automatically correct itself to Lyn. Hopefully it won't get itself into a loop.
    Thanks again, am now pottyless.
  4. ScoobyWRX

ScoobyWRX Well-Known Member

The words you put into the dictionary will be lost if you turn the phone off, which is pretty annoying too :confused:
    lininjim likes this.
  5. lininjim

lininjim Member

Well that's a bit silly, must remember not to switch off.
  6. matttye

There are other keyboards in the play store that do save the dictionary.. seems like a pretty daft oversight from Samsung!

I use "Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard" and it saves between reboots :)
    ScoobyWRX likes this.
  7. ScoobyWRX

I'll give it a try, though I'm stuck in the past, and prefer abc,def, keypads :eek:
  8. matttye

Really?!

Qwertys are so much faster once you get the hang of them :p
  9. ScoobyWRX

Not when you've got tubby fingers! :(
  10. OzoneVibe

OzoneVibe Member

Is it still the case that the "My Word List" gets wiped if you switch off?

Thought my SGS3 managed to save them for the first few times I switched off .... but the history on this thread suggest that wasn't the case.

Why on earth does it wipe them?? I took an hour or so to add a load of personal words manually . . . that has proven to be a total waste of time :/
  11. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

I just did a search for this subject and I went from being pleased to finally knowing where the dictionary is, to being disappointed I'd better not switch my phone off or reboot it as I will lose all my words!
  12. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

Heh. I read a science fiction short story years ago where the protagonist was named Qwerty Uiop.
  13. EducatedPoet06

EducatedPoet06 New Member

I was having the issue of not finding the location to add to the user dictionary myself and so I came across this thread... Was very helpful but I curious about the "erasing the user dictionary on shutoff/restart" so I contacted and spoke with Samsung... Here's my edited transcript so you know the short story, but verifiable...

I was asked the model number of my Galaxy S3 so that is where we begin...
    Visitor: SGH-I747
    Stanley M: May I know by which method you are adding these words?
    Visitor: Settings > Language and input > Samsung keyboard Settings > Predictive text > My word list > (+) to add word(s)
    Stanley M: I have checked the information and I would like to inform you that the words do not get deleted by these steps.
    Stanley M: They stay in the phone memory.
    Visitor: the one's I mentioned?
    Stanley M: Yes.

So there we have it... hopefully this issue is a moot point now!

P.S. if you would be so inclined to read the entire transcript I saved it... but there is no information in it...
  14. ninja636rider

ninja636rider Well-Known Member

I highly recommend buying SwiftKey keyboard and using that instead. Between the various button layouts, themes, and predictive text it blows the stock keyboard away!
  15. mabrice

mabrice New Member

I have a T-Mobile SGS3, with Android 4.1.2, but I don 't have the "My Word List" Menu pick under "Predictive Text." My only options are "Personalized data" (on or off), and then several "Learn from..." options (GMail, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). That's it--no "My Word List." Did T-Mobile go their own way and hide it somewhere else?
  16. misspatsycline

misspatsycline New Member

Did anyone reply to ur question???
    I have same problem. Sprint galaxy S3 - (model SPH-L710) and in "language and input" I see what u aee... And I have words that I have accidentally saved and it's getting on My nerves and can't find the right thread to fix it ..... if u have found anything useful or helpful please post.

(BTW I even tried fixing words in SWYPE and didn't help one bit)
  17. misspatsycline

misspatsycline New Member

Did anyone reply to ur question???
    I have same problem. Sprint galaxy S3 - (model SPH-L710) and in "language and input" I see what u aee... And I have words that I have accidentally saved and it's getting on My nerves and can't find the right thread to fix it ..... if u have found anything useful or helpful please post.

(BTW I even tried fixing words in SWYPE and didn't help one bit)
  18. TeaPea

TeaPea New Member

Not sure if you've already found the answer to this, but when I checked the "Learn from Messages", it started remembering things like names and email addresses that I'd previously had to type in manually.