• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help User Reviews of The HTC EVO 4G LTE

I am not huge on swapping ROMs around but I am quite happy with the phone. The camera still surprises me with the quality, the screen is still bright and clear, and the sound (both with and without headphones) is pretty good the only thing I have to complain about is the lack of LTE coverage which is not really a flaw with the phone so much as Sprint

Reactions: simcha
Upvote 0
I'm still very happy with my phone too. I did have to have it replaced once but haven't had any issues since.

I am still loving this phone. Had to have it replaced once but since then life has been great with it. I am not a rooter so mine is just plain and basic. All I am doing now is trying to figure out what case if any to put on it.

Hey vic I'd recommend at least putting a TPU case on it for protection, it barely increases the profile of the phone and might save your butt. I've bought a couple TPU cases from Amazon but there are plenty of options out there now. I've dropped my phone twice now (I'm a klutz.... I know :rolleyes:) and each time my heart stopped as I saw it was falling but both times my TPU case saved me. The first time I dropped it in a store onto the hard tile floor, from shopping cart/child seat height (I dropped it into my purse & missed, lol), the 2nd time was just last night! I was setting it on the bathroom counter & missed :eek: & it fell onto ceramic tile.

Upvote 0
My LTEvo is still going strong and I'm very happy with it. I'm still on the original firmware that came with the phone. I avoided the updates because I intend to root. If I were not to root or update, this phone still kicks butt and I get great battery life.

One bug I have now is the proximity light issue which is fixed by the most recent update or bringing it near a bright light to turn it off.

You could just wait for the next Nexus phone for Sprint but that can be a long time.

Upvote 0
So we've had our phones for some months now. How's yours holding up physically?

For me I keep it in an case whether it be the defender or tpu. My zagg was FUBAR'd so I took it off a few days ago. ( I'm going to give the oleophobic a shot!) Already got a small scratch near the menu key. :banghead: Other than that though mine has held up well. Love the aluminum construction.

All in all I'm happy, *knocks on wood* :Dl ol

Upvote 0
the new iphone5 is also aluminum painted.. but have heard that it is getting scratched very easily.

how is the painted aluminum holding up??

I hear the iphone 5 is liquid metal which is a totally different procedure than what we have. The liquid metal tends to scratch alot easier. No matter what it's still aluminum but I haven't had any issues with scratching or chipping or anything.

I keep mine in a case. But my freind at work doesn't ever use a case. And his phone looks great. A few scratches on the display. ( no screen protector either). But the body of the phone is in great shape. There is a ding on the corner but it's still got its color. He must have dropped it.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
so.. the screen got scratched.. but the paint is ok?

wow... that is some tough paint !!!
to bad the iphone5 did not use this process!!!!!

what the hell is liquid metal? is it like Lighting plug and retina screen? marketing BS?

Yeah gorilla glass is great don't get me wrong. But it's still glass. From my own experience and the experience of others I have found out that gorilla glass and sand or any kind of small abrasive don't get along well. We've all seen the key scraping on gorilla glass and you don't get a single scratch. But one grain of sand and it's all over. I actually scratched mine while cleaning it with a cloth. Must have been a piece of dirt in the cloth.

It's not so much paint on the evo. It's more like powder coating. It's magnetically charged. Like a powder coated rim for a car. They aren't supposed to scratch or chip.

I don't know all the much about the liquid metal process. But I do know that is how they got it so light. It's a lot less dense. So it makes sense that it is easily scratched.

Here is a really cool video htc put together to show the build quality of the evo lte. It shows the process they used to achieve it. It explains alot of of what I'm talking about with the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlGtUPuabs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Upvote 0
It seems that I am having a few interesting issues that I have yet to solve.

My phone is basically my mobile office. I can control my security system at my retail store, set and monitor the video recorders, print remotely, take credit card payments, etc. I use Bluetooth and voice dial almost exclusively. Whenever I can leverage a WiFi connection, I do. I use Vlingo a lot for the mobile app, as well as to read text messages to me via the bluetooth.

I have a 16GB Micro SD card installed, and have pushed all the photo and video media to it.

Here is what I need some suggestions on:
I find that quite often I get a huge delay when I try to dial someone. Voicedial will accept my command, but sometimes takes up to 2 minutes to respond and actually call that person. Sometimes the dialer crashes, and send a report to HTC on my behalf. Whenever I reboot the phone, and start up the voice dial feature, the phone gives me a menu asking what voice dial to use; i.e. Voice dialer, Vlingo, Skype, etc. I always choose "Remember my decision", and the built in voice dialer. It never seems to remember past a powerdown or reset reboot however...

I also use the Chrome browser, and it has the same issue. When I reset or powerdown or reboot, it always asks what browser I want to use... seems it can't remember what I chose as the default.

Factory reset is not an option, as it took me literally weeks to configure all the apps I have on the phone.

Does anyone else have these issues? Found a solution or workaround?

Thanks for the assistance!

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I have noticed on my un-rooted Evo4GLTE that when I click on a picture from my widget contacts, it takes maybe 5 or 6 seconds to start dialing, but that is fixed with a normal power off and back on.

2 minutes seems crazy slow. Did you install a program and then the dialer slowed down?

As for your Browser Issue, have you gone to settings, then App Associations and then WEB URLS and then selected Chrome? Doing so will set your default browser.

It seems that I am having a few interesting issues that I have yet to solve.

My phone is basically my mobile office. I can control my security system at my retail store, set and monitor the video recorders, print remotely, take credit card payments, etc. I use Bluetooth and voice dial almost exclusively. Whenever I can leverage a WiFi connection, I do. I use Vlingo a lot for the mobile app, as well as to read text messages to me via the bluetooth.

I have a 16GB Micro SD card installed, and have pushed all the photo and video media to it.

Here is what I need some suggestions on:
I find that quite often I get a huge delay when I try to dial someone. Voicedial will accept my command, but sometimes takes up to 2 minutes to respond and actually call that person. Sometimes the dialer crashes, and send a report to HTC on my behalf. Whenever I reboot the phone, and start up the voice dial feature, the phone gives me a menu asking what voice dial to use; i.e. Voice dialer, Vlingo, Skype, etc. I always choose "Remember my decision", and the built in voice dialer. It never seems to remember past a powerdown or reset reboot however...

I also use the Chrome browser, and it has the same issue. When I reset or powerdown or reboot, it always asks what browser I want to use... seems it can't remember what I chose as the default.

Factory reset is not an option, as it took me literally weeks to configure all the apps I have on the phone.

Does anyone else have these issues? Found a solution or workaround?

Thanks for the assistance!

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
evo,

moved your post here since you are giving your "review" of your use of the gadget.

as to helping you with your questions,

not remembering your browser preference. just un-tick the suggestion (clear the preference in settings) and click on a link that will cause you to pick a browser. since you have this issue, im ASSuming you have multiple browsers. perhaps one of those is taking over the permissions, so try uninstalling those other browsers.

Voice command can take a while if you have multiple contacts with multiple addresses/numbers. also, your signal can come into play, so is this happening in multiple places?

i see you have a lot of apps installed that may need to run in the background. be aware, this will rob your handset of CPU and other resources, so make sure you are running apps in the background that need to be running.

when was the last time you cleaned up your storage memory? may have unneeded files taking up memory/resources.

have you done a simple search on the site ? I am sure you have but just had to ask anyway, I have seen similar questions posed and there have been some solutions posted in various threads.

sometimes a factory reset is the ONLY thing you can do. I do not experience any of those issues you mention, and i am stock non rooted.

Upvote 0
I have installed resource monitor mini to see what is up, and it tells me I have 130mb of free memory when my phone is idle. Is this low?

That sounds about right.

Do you have links to Facebook contacts?

Dang my memory, but I recall someone here fixing the contact (therefore, phone) lag by addressing it from the Facebook contacts.

I'll try to find the link.

PS - MyBackup Pro. If you have that much vested in your apps and data, back them up! Plus, really helpful if you have to do the factory data reset.

Upvote 0
Came from the EVO4G and EVO3D. The chassis is very nicely designed aesthetically. But like someone mentioned the case is not grippy at all and probably why another owner here at work already shattered his. The frame was completely tweaked so I got to take it a part and look at the whole thing. The integrated battery is really a major downer for me after trying this phone. Sprint won't fix battery, has to go back to HTC in texas for repairs which took about 2 weeks for me total travel and repair time. Otherwise they did a great job.

The screen is very nice, the processing power and battery life are really good. I was able to get 2 days and 3 hours with light use and playing a fair amount of music. That is a lot compared to the older EVO phones without extended batteries. You could get similar life with other ROMS on the classic phones, but that would not be a fair comparison. The buttons have a superior look but inferior feel. I feel like they will wear down or catch on something easier. The design is very slim which is nice especially since I always buy cases for these devices. The only downside is HTC claims the only way to keep phones this thin is to integrate batteries. Batteries are some of the main causes for these phones to have problems though so I'm willing to give up thinness for ability to fix the 30 or so phones I manage for our workforce. I will be honest in that this is the only phone we have and I didn't buy it, one of the owners did without my knowledge on our account. He wanted something else after the battery went dead, so I kept it after it was fixed. I will keep this phone for easily a year as it is very well designed beyond the integrated battery problem. But I will be the only one to have it at our business as I just can't afford to send phones back and it taking over a week for a warranty repair.

The Beats thing is a marketing gimmic, From what I can read, this is more or less an equalizer profile that Dr. Dre approves of, same with all Beats devices. They put their little logo on a device which bumps up the bass to Dr. Dre's liking and re-brand devices. Adjusting equalizer settings to your liking is a very subjective experience while reproducing music, if you like the sound, you just like to hear it how Dr. Dre prefers it, nothing more, nothing less. Admittedly I do enjoy music with more bass so typically I do turn it on, but after understanding what Beats Audio is I was underwhelmed. I misinterpreted Beats audio as hardware accelerated technology which processed compressed audio more efficiently. The knowledge at least served me so that I don't go buy any headphones marketed with Beats Audio so that Dr. Dre gets his licensing cut. Seems like more of a scam marketed to an uknowing young generation willing to pay a premium for brands.

The camera rapid shot is a plus, nice to see some features you see from higher end cameras making their way into phones.

Upvote 0
Back again with the slow issue. I decided to take your advice and A: Buy MyBackup Pro, and B: Factory reset.

So my question is what exactly does MyBackup Pro do?

As far as I can tell, it didn't really do anything except remember what programs I had already installed. I used it to back up everything, Applications & Media, and Data.... but when I resorted, everything is back to a clean slate. Non of my log ins, passwords, email accounts, custom screens, folders, were restored. It's all gone....

What did I miss?

Thanks

That sounds about right.

Do you have links to Facebook contacts?

Dang my memory, but I recall someone here fixing the contact (therefore, phone) lag by addressing it from the Facebook contacts.

I'll try to find the link.

PS - MyBackup Pro. If you have that much vested in your apps and data, back them up! Plus, really helpful if you have to do the factory data reset.

Upvote 0
Back again with the slow issue. I decided to take your advice and A: Buy MyBackup Pro, and B: Factory reset.

So my question is what exactly does MyBackup Pro do?

As far as I can tell, it didn't really do anything except remember what programs I had already installed. I used it to back up everything, Applications & Media, and Data.... but when I resorted, everything is back to a clean slate. Non of my log ins, passwords, email accounts, custom screens, folders, were restored. It's all gone....

What did I miss?

Thanks

I have found that it won't back up e-mail account info and some logins but it should have done everything else you listed. Have you rebooted since reloading your backup data?

It won't hurt anything to try again either.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I have found that it won't back up e-mail account info and some logins but it should have done everything else you listed. Have you rebooted since reloading your backup data?

It won't hurt anything to try again either.

I tried again as you advised with no change. I did two separate backups, one last week, and one this morning. Are they by chance incremental?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I tried again as you advised with no change. I did two separate backups, one last week, and one this morning. Are they by chance incremental?

Thanks

It should be a full backup each time.

I am honestly not sure what to tell you here. There are occasionally things that for whatever reason don't get restored but it usually works as advertised and restores all or most of your settings, apps, data etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones