• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

username and password incorrect too many simultaneous connections (gmail couldnt sign in)

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Randomly, my email app does this (I won't use the official Gmail app as I hate the UI plus the default email app in Android supports multiple accounts). But my password and username is correct. I set the sync interval to four hours, and only access this account from my one phone. Every time this error comes up, I have to clear data from the app which means manually adding each account back. It is starting to get annoying. Is this related in any way to the mass of Google errors affecting Play Store and other Google apps lately?

I get that at times with my webmail provider. I use the same provider on Linux, Windows and Android. There are times when the phone simply won't log in. The computers might or might not, and you have to go to the actual web site of the provider.
On the computers, you can just reenter password, but on the phone, you have to start over.

I use Thunderbird ESR on the computers, and Aquamail on the phone. I think it might have something to do with the settings. You can get Gmail via POP3, but IMAP might work better. Google tells you how to do both on the webmail page.

The provider I use does offer POP3, but it caused the same problems as you are describing.

Upvote 0
Well, email.apk sets everything up by itself soon as I enter my email address and password. I don't get the choice to change servers. Sucks as when it happens I have to reset everything, clearing all data from the app, simply removing and re-adding the Google account won't work. During this time it constantly has the notification tone going off and a constant '[account name@gmail.com] couldn't sign in'

Clicking that goes to the app, which falsely claims my username/password is incorrect. Google's page about the error involves using more than one device accessing the same account causing the message. But I'm only using my phone. The official Gmail app doesn't do this, just email.apk which I prefer for the muti-account support.

I should add that my ROM has a dark theme for the built-in apps including email.apk which I prefer. K-9 mail is black text on white background, hard on the eyes. I read a lot of email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones