Using 2.2 but real laggy

Last Updated:

1. surfingrools

surfingrools Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys. Ive had an android about a week. Im really doing my best to read as much as I can. I updated to Froyo and its very laggy. Ive been reading around on how to fix but i'd rather come here to get some advice on how I should go about fixing it. Just looking for the safest way to do this.

I notice a lot of people use cognition. Is it supposed to be a really good ROM?
    Also im a little confused on how to backup the phone. I didn't do that before switching to Froyo so i hope that doesnt mean Im in too much trouble now If I try to root froyo for a lag fix. any help would be greatly appreciated. sorry if I sound like an Idiot, just made the switch from the Iphone.

Advertisement
  2. surfingrools

also how do I "flash" back to 2.1 if I wanted to

3. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

4. surfingrools

ok i got the root to work for froyo but if i want to try cognition can I flash directly from stock 2.2 or should I go back to 2.1 then flash

5. CrimsonPride

i never have tried going from 2.2 but i expect it would soft brick. you can try it but i would flash back to stock first

6. surfingrools

ok well then now That I rooted the damn stock 2.2 is there any point of dong that. lol
    Im still new so still learning
    can I still go to other roms at all?

7. CrimsonPride

well since you rooted you can backup your apps with titanium backup. then flash stock and flash a new rom

8. surfingrools

ok lol new update
    i have root access granted to SetCPU, but it wont grant access to titanium backup....wadafuxup

*Edit sais i must use busybox as well but that said it might boot loop my phone and I should back up before using..........so the backup app sais i need this and this said i should backup first lol awesome

9. surfingrools

Ok so I flashed back to 2.1 rerooted. reinstalled setp cpu and rom manager. but now when I plug in the USB as mass storage and mount the SD card the comp doesnt see the phone.......any suggestions?

10. CrimsonPride

pull the battery and restart.

11. surfingrools

12. surfingrools

ok so now my main Q is this.....

Is flashing to a new ROM really worth it. The phone isn't really slow to me out of the box. but everyone posts about the lag fix and what not. so what would you recommend I do? I def. want flash black, but the stock 2.2 was so damn buggy

13. CrimsonPride

the roms are not buggy, but they may have some things that do not currently work that are known. like with perception, wired headsets do not work for phone calls, now i use my phone for calls rarely and when i do i dont use a headset so its not a problem for me. if this is something you use then you may want to try cognition, i havent used it so i dont remember any of the problems it had. but you will notice a difference and for me its definitely worth it, it may not be for everyone but i couldnt go back stock if i wanted to. also i had originally tried the stock 2.2 rom a long time ago and i couldnt stand it, it was laggy for me also but the new roms are nothing like that

14. surfingrools

are the themes with the new roms permanent?
    right now im using ADW launcher with a theme I like and I dont wanna lose it.
    I got titanium backup on and working im just not sure how to use it.
    Id like to make sure everything is backed up and try a new ROM
    I just want to make sure im doing everything correctly.

15. CrimsonPride

i havent tried any of the other themes, but on cognition and perception the stock launcher is vanilla android. you can install adw or any of the others over it.

to use tibu once you backed everything up, go to the main screen, press the menu button and go to batch, there will be options to restore all your apps, be sure not to restore apps like phone 1.1 or stuff like that, they will force close on a new rom, really only restore 3rd party apps

16. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

I flashed Assonance...best rom so far better then COg and perception...i install back froyo theme...works so nice...

@crimsonpride: buddy u should try Assonance Rom...is really good and better then perception I say....

17. surfingrools

ok so i read the FAQ's on TiBu's site and im comfortable with it......
    Im just about ready to try flashing a new rom for the first time (besides Foyoslow 2.2 bullS***) lol
    Do you have a link for that assonence rom?

18. viny2cool

19. CrimsonPride

i may try it next time. i like that the dev of perception built his own kernel, which i like better than setrioN's, and uses voodoo5, i dont know if assonance uses a lagfix, it didnt say on the thread. other than that they appear to be just about the exact same

20. surfingrools

ok so TiBu sounded like I was ready to go till I realized Id have an issue restoring. Luckily i kept reading lol
    Specifically using the free verson this is the common problem'
    So im not too comfortable with creating shells yet. if I mess up a command line im assuming I can eff the phone. Did you guys have to go through this and what is the easiest way other than just buying the pro version

21. CrimsonPride

i have the free version and never ran into a problem. i just restore 3rd party apps and ill restore the data for my email and stuff so i dont have to resync them

22. viny2cool

IMO its same too. But I didnt find any bug like no ear phone working in perception...and GPS works like butter...which was working for me in stock too....

I am not sure about lag fix as well, but its s freaking fast and i got quadrant score of 1950...which is really good...also I installed black froyo theme...omg is super cool....

23. surfingrools

when he sais be careful about single vs double quotes....what exactly does he mean.....just copy and paste everything im assuming?

24. viny2cool

i am not sure what u r trying to do with that shell thing.....if u want back up just root ur phone and install titanium.....theadb process is to enable sideloading apps, whcih means apps which are not available in market....titanium app is available in market...but u need to root ur phone to make it work...

none of us has done that thing, i Guess...so we dont know what u should do...

25. surfingrools

Then can you explain how the backup to restore process works?

Ive installed titanium. and backed everything up

I thought once you flashed a new rom your had to "restore" what u backed up.

but the titanium program said you can't restore until you change that "allow other" apps thing. hence why i posted that shell thing. and that came from titaniums website.

so how did you get all your previouse contacts and apps back once you flashed the new rom?