Using 3rd Party Launchers with the EVO 4G LTESupport

Last Updated:

1. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I created a thread when the Photon was released to introduce Newb Android users, as well as seasoned Android users, to 3rd Party launchers. Since all the reviews somehow always seem to integrate their reviews with how the Manufacturer's OEM launcher is, I figured it'd be a good thing for people to know that there are other alternatives that don't require rooting, but may serve their needs even better than the stock launcher. Anyhow, I've copy and pasted all the details of that thread below. I've taken Launcher Pro Plus out, since as of right now there's no indication that fede will be making adjustments for it to work properly with ICS (and some have reported that it kinda works w/ exception to some widgets).

-EDIT- Pre-warning, to those new to Android, but considering using a 3rd party launcher. Not all of the launcher below are guaranteed to be Ice Cream Sandwich compatible, so be sure to read through reviews and comments, prior to installing on your LTEvo.

marctronixx, Granite1 and EarlyMon like this.
  2. NaterTots

NaterTots Well-Known Member

Apex launcher is the only one I use when trying out ICS roms. It is ICS only. Free in market. Very smooth for me with alot of options.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

FAQ-tastic! :)
  4. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

Nova or Apex because they are ICS specific.
    drexappeal likes this.
  5. drexappeal

Adding to 1st post. Thanks guys!
  6. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Well-Known Member

Nova launcher is definitely my favorite ICS launcher. I even considered buying the prime version. And I usually don't buy paid apps.
  7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

i'm planning to give the sense launcher a try before deciding. Currently I use GO Launcher on my Evo 3D.
  8. broadrun96

broadrun96 Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread so I thought I'd get some opinions about alternate launchers for the LTEvo. Having had a Transform before and finding few that worked well without rooting I hadn't played with any before but have been playing around with Nova Launcher. Not too sure about it yet but am giving it a go for a while to be fair. Adjustable grid and spacing for home screen icons is nice, hated the wasted space between icons and widgets. Hidden apps are now available ie Mirror, Tune-In (any idea why not in sense?) It also seems faster and smoother both loading and animations, and like the smooth scrolling rather than pagination of the app drawer in Sense. However, I am confused about one thing, I have changed the dock to different things in Nova over Sense but in the lock screen it's the same 4 icons from Sense. Any ideas from the ICS/Android experts out there? And I can't run the Weather widget (sense only widget?), no big loss but just an FYI if you really like it.
  9. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

1) Yes, Lockscreen is tied to Sense, so if you want to change those, go back to Sense (App: Home Switcher) and change there.

2) Yes, the clock widget is Sense only.

3) In addition to Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher is a decent one with similar features to Nova
  10. drexappeal

Glad the organiztion of the Photon threads is likely to help for a lot of the future phones. That said, just wanted to point out that of all the launchers, i'ts not likely that Launcher Pro Plus will be completely compatible with ICS.

Not sure if anybody has tried it, but as far as I know, Launcher Pro Plus hasn't gotten any updates if it will ever be updated to the "new" version that fede (the developer) had said he was working on.
  11. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

I'm giving Nova a try. Pretty cool so far.
  12. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Apex Pro or Nova Prime - that's it. Forget about the rest.
  13. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I need this phone I can have some fun with these launchers.
  14. NeoteriX

I've bought both, and prefer Apex for the way the icons are spaced, but Nova is nice for its speed adjustment options.
  15. spdkilz02

spdkilz02 Well-Known Member

I'm trying Apex currently.
  16. Lowbird

Lowbird VIP Member VIP Member

I am holding out hope for LPP. Fede will respond if you have an issue on Twitter. But his forum is hit or miss for info regarding the future.

LPP started to become a memory hog in the last 8 months. Had to clear data monthly on the OG EVO. So until an update is given I wont transfer it over.
  17. ZepTepi

ZepTepi Well-Known Member

I hope Circle Launcher comes out with an ICS version before I move to the LTEvo.
  18. drexappeal

Yeah, part of me kinda is also, but I after the most recent Photon update, I decided to make the transition to Go Launcher Ex again and I've been happy. Should fede decide to move forward with his "re-vamped" LPP, I'll still take it into consideration, but I have a feeling that he doesn't have the time to devote to it as much anymore. I was having issues with memory lag on LPP also and I cleared out data and cache regularly on my Photon. Definitely had the issue on my OG EVO as well.
  19. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

My OG Evo was great!!!!! I could load and run launcher pro with no problems. The LTE is causing crashes on launcher pro and ICS seems to have lost the ability to get apps closer together and larger. Can you change the array/column spacing on this phone?
  20. NeoteriX

If you want a new homescreen/launcher you'll want to look at Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher; that should do it.
    PattiCakeUS and EarlyMon like this.
  21. drexappeal

Unfortunately, fede has been working on a "revamped" version of Launcher Pro for almost 2 years now, but still hasn't released that (lots of rumors about why it has taken such a long time).

Nontheless, it was a known factor that Launcher Pro would have issues with ICS compatibility.

Nova, Apex, and Holo Launcher have all seemed to take the place, of other launchers, as the "go to" launchers for ICS and above.
    PattiCakeUS likes this.
  22. CyreneK

CyreneK Well-Known Member

Nova Launcher recently updated and now the grid size can also be changed in the app drawer. Nova runs smoother on my phone compared to Apex, which would lag and reload.
    PattiCakeUS likes this.
  23. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

First, a belated Merry Christmas to ALL! I'm in need of a widget; here's the scoop:

Obviously I've got the Evo 4G LTE with the Jelly Bean uprade (which is working flawlessly for me) - but instead of running HTC Sense, I'm running Go! Launcher...which I LOVE! Problem is, I like the scrollable People Widget that comes with Sense which doesn't work with Launcher - unless there's a work-around that I don't know about.

So...I need to either (a) find a way to locate, download, and run HTC's People Widget with Go! Launcher, or (b) find another app/widget like the People Widget that'll work with Launcher and give me the same desired effect: A scrollable single column of my most frequently called and texted Contacts.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Work-Arounds? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  24. CyreneK

CyreneK Well-Known Member

I don't know of a widget, but what I do is set up a shortcut folder for direct dial, and put it in my dock.
  25. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

HTC widgets only run with their launcher, you'll need to look for alternatives.
    marctronixx likes this.