Using a better Keyboard on the XoomTips

Last Updated:

1. Jef

Jef Active Member

Hi All,

Since I picked up the Xoom the other day, I was kind of annoyed at the wide keyboard when entering in text. I found alternative keyboards which may work better, and posted my thoughts on my site.

I figured I'd like it here for other Xoom users:

Using the Motorola Xoom Keyboard and other alternatives

Hope that helps!

2. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Thumb Keyboard in the market is really good, very customizable. Meant for tablets.
    ArXane likes this.
  3. Jef

Jef Active Member

ThumbKeyboard is the one I use for example in the post above. I've really come to like it's customizations.
  4. PaulG1488

PaulG1488 Guest

Yes id strongly reccomend thumb keyboard to anyone that doesn't have it yet
  5. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

Can someone suggest a good one for the Xoom that doesn't cost anything? I know that sounds cheap :) but hey, this thing just cost me a buttload. :eek:
  6. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

lol the app is 2 bux bro...
  7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

Hey, the economy is trecherous :) Oh well, I guess if it becomes necessary I'll buy it.
  8. rjoudrey

Actually $1.64. Lees than an ice cream that lasts about 5 minutes. This will last a long time and save a lot of time.
  9. NTexican

NTexican Member

Any chance of getting Swype?
  10. even4steven

even4steven Member

I downloaded the Thumb Keyboard from the market, and it gives various options in both landscape and portrait. More like the way I use a keyboard on my Evo, using my thumbs. I am not sure what my preferred way will be, but I like how it gives me access to numbers and direction keys at all times. Has anyone else tried this or other on-screen keyboards?

11. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

How do you select a different keyboard? Long press doesn't bring up the option of changing keyboards like it does on my Incredible.
  12. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Nevermind I figured it out . Giving thumb keyboard a try now.
  13. even4steven

even4steven Member

I think I like the 5" or 7" settings a bit better.
  14. breitling65

breitling65 Member

I got this keyboard too, pretty cool. Thanks!
  15. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Just downloaded it as well, not bad.
  16. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

Um- does the pricing not show up in USD for the rest of you? I won't let my card purchase go though, I think since it's not US currency.
  17. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Member

Thumb Keyboard is awesome. I love being able to have a numeric keypad between the 'split' keyboard. So, in addition, while being easier to reach all the regular keys while typing, I don't have to hit '123' anymore in order to enter numbers, which makes typing passwords with mixed letters/numbers much less annoying.
  18. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

I like thumb keyboard a lot!!...only issue is I keep accidentally hitting the notifications instead of the spacebar. :(
  19. rjoudrey

Increase the height of the space bar row.
  20. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

I did...I just miss sometimes
  21. Dunbar

Dunbar Active Member

This is probably a stupid question, but where on the app can you individually customize parts of the keyboard? The only options I have found control the size of the keyboard itself (5", 7", 10")
  22. rjoudrey

Layout Keyboard...

Keyboard Height...
  23. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Well-Known Member

I just doenloaded nyselk. Need to get used to using my thumbs. As you can see I've improved the more I type. Holy crap this is tough. Painfully slow. Man do i suck.
  24. rjoudrey

I tgibfj it workdbs perrceecutly,
    gamul1 likes this.
  25. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

No chance of Swype yet?